Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack insert

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Spaugh View Post
    AR500 backpack weighs 3 pounds.

Armor Threat Rating Level IIIA multi-hit protection against .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets with a specified mass of 8.1 g (125 gr) and a velocity of 1470 ft/s (+/- 30 ft/s) and with .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets with a specified mass of 15.6 g (240 grain) 1430 ft/s (+/- 30 ft/s)
    sorry if my opinion is colored, I've been shot both with and without armor. My preference is with armor, and if I'm wearing armor I prefer it not to be the cheapest on the market. I've been to AR500's facility and dealt with their products and would prefer a different vendor.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

@greg can recommend a good brand? I'd swap mine out if it's not up to par

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBodyOneHead View Post
    @greg can recommend a good brand? I'd swap mine out if it's not up to par
    There are a number that I would trust, AR500 isn't one, but they get the most press because they are the cheapest. G-Force, Second Chance, SAPI and ESAPI, Spartan Armor, and American Armor are all good choices. Much in the way I trust Glock over many other options I distrust AR500. I don't know any professional that trusts or uses AR500 and that speaks volumes.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

When you shoot steel, the material of the bullet has to go somewhere ("bullet splash"). This is why it's for shooting, not for body armor. Yes it can be coated but ceramic is a better solution.

Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Not sure Id throw a slab of ar500 in my third grader's backpack.

Not sure about your third grader but mine would probably have a little trouble carrying it.
    the ar500 they are referring to is the company. they make III and IIIA trauma pads designed for carrier and backpack inserts. damn guys, get out from under your rocks. you too fuzzy, hell you live in the same area

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    When you shoot steel, the material of the bullet has to go somewhere ("bullet splash"). This is why it's for shooting, not for body armor. Yes it can be coated but ceramic is a better solution.
    Spall, the term you are looking for is spall.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    the ar500 they are referring to is the company. they make III and IIIA trauma pads designed for carrier and backpack inserts. damn guys, get out from under your rocks. you too fuzzy, hell you live in the same area
    I addressed that in above posts, I'm referring to my trust in the company in general not specifically their steel products.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Spall, the term you are looking for is spall.
    People use the terms interchangeably but spall is what comes out the other side of the target.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    People use the terms interchangeably but spall is what comes out the other side of the target.
    I think of splash as the dirt kicked up when the bullet strikes something other than the intended soft target. Potato/potato
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

When my daughter studied in the UK I gave her a "shooters cut" IIIa rated soft panel (intended as a plate backer for the front pocket of an external shell TAC vest) for her back pack. I don't recall the panel dimensions off-hand...it was light, fit inside the pack well, took up very little space, and was a whole lot better than nothing. No issues wherever she went in Blighty.