Default Making stances practical

I was planning on doing a very similar video, but I ran across this one and don’t need to recreate it.

I think stances are poorly understood. Some consider them simply to be static training for beginners, used to build strength, mobility, balance and proper weighting. Stances are certainly useful for that but there’s more to it.

Others think there is no such thing really as “stances”, and that there is simply movement that is balanced, structured and fluid. In this view, stances are nothing more than transitional steps. This is a very practical view, and pretty accurate for the real world but again I think there is more.

Stances are useful in the beginning because you have to start somewhere. As you progress you become more fluid, less rigid and may not feel that you ever really take a “stance”. But as you progress further you look back to fundamentals and begin to see how practical stances can be when you use them for specific purposes. How you shift your weight. How you can use your legs as weapons, not as kicks but as bludgeons to attack another’s balance or as points of leverage and friction.

At this level the stance really is a weapon to be employed.

One of the old karate masters said something about treating your hands as if they are swords. In modern parlance I would say to think of your fists like bullets (a bullet is just a small fist moving really fast).

Taking the analogy further, I would say your stance is like a vehicle. If you’re in a car when a gunfight kicks off, it’s better to drive than shoot. If the hands are tied up in a clinch, we may not be able to hit with them. So we use our stance to attack and open up other opportunities.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Excellent!!!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

This crystallizes something I've had rolling about in my head for some time now, especially since I've not trained in formal TKD for a good number of years but do try to keep up my fitness and skill. I've noticed using almost blends of different stances while working pistol katas, sparring/tussling with friends (good stances help me to move more quickly, more strongly, and more dynamically than people I know who have never trained such movement), and in other pursuits, even soccer.

This seems to connect quite nicely with the "Heavy and Light" thread of a couple months ago: stances executed in a certain way will help stabilize us by rooting us to the ground, then help us drive with power from that strong, stable position, then move like a cat into another position as we come up through the strike.

In fact, as I thought through writing the preceding sentence, it dawned on me that as we strike, often we are driving power from our feet ("heavy" stance) up into someone else, bringing our weight into our hips ("light" stance). Combining power with movement requires we learn how to manage our stances to optimize each one. Similarly, our grasp of the fine points of a stance will allow us to, in proportion, adapt our stance to the fight, and further, use our stance to control the fight. (A punch is just a punch, and a kick is just a kick, with much more underneath--so stances are just stances, but much more underneath the simple movement.)

I like the fact that yiou can practice the stances solo without the need of a partner. And that there is not a lot of add-on`s to the techniques, the student learning a bunch of new techniques, instead taking advantage of all the repetition done practicing the basic stances.

I like having the option that when you miss the opportunity of attacking the inside of the leg you can you can simply continue the technique by by stepping through and attacking the back of the leg, turning it into a throw.

It is also interesting how he uses his foot to prevent the opponent`s foot from moving.

As well as using knee strikes out of the Cat stance not a stance I often saw used in Shotokan and in Goyu-Ryu, tge only attacks out of Cat Stance I saw was Snapping Kicks.

The sequence of stances in the second part of the clip is a great way to get a feel for the different Stances by using a bit of flow and is also very effective in setting somebody up who stays acutely aware of the balance in the Clinch.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    As well as using knee strikes out of the Cat stance not a stance I often saw used in Shotokan and in Goyu-Ryu, tge only attacks out of Cat Stance I saw was Snapping Kicks.
    I think cat stance is largely misunderstood. Well, at least in my humble opinion. I plan on a video on the subject
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Much needed thread. Fundamental movement skills (GOTFX) training requires everyone to assess, and honestly re-assess, how they stand at almost any given moment in their day.

Let me know when you want to video these.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:
    CRG-1, Pistol Gunfighting, August 24-25, 2019 Olympia, WA

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Who was the founder that said he didn't practice stances...but he practiced moving in and out of and through stances alot.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters