Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile What is the necessary...

What is the necessary magnification to see mirage clearly? Please I know it depends in a series of factors. I just want a rough idea.
    Don't be scared be prepared!

If guns were outlaw only outlaws will have guns - NRA

Nothing happens until it happens!

Si vis pacem para bellum

Not sure what you are asking. Mirage is seen with the bare eye. Perhaps rephrase your question.

Mark: Congratulations if you can see the mirage at 500 yards with your bare eyes...probably I am getting old but I can't!!!

Si vis pacem para bellum

Are you sure you are asking about mirage or about distortion from heat? I've never shot past a thousand yards in the Florida heat and humidity. Noticing that after six hours on a Sunday afternoon there are no other responses perhaps you need to ask on a different forum more about rifles or elaborate more. I would like to learn more about the factors you reference.

Quote Originally Posted by BERETTATIGER View Post
    Mark: Congratulations if you can see the mirage at 500 yards with your bare eyes...probably I am getting old but I can't!!!
    Maybe you're talking about something different than mirage? Mirage is plainly visible with the naked eye on hot days, even at very long distances. Look down a straight paved road on a hot day, that shimmery reflection on the road in the distance is mirage; you don't need magnification to see that. You must be asking about something else?

What type of mirage are you asking about? Do you want to see it to see what the wind is doing or how to account for target shift due to mirage?
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

mirage and heat distortion can be visible at any range from any magnification. the only requirement to see one is that you have at least one working eye. As to 500yds, you failed to specify range in your original post, regardless, heat distortion can be viewed at under 50yds under the right conditions. heel you can see distortion off the hood of your car while sitting in it if its hot enough out. under magnification, it only takes high heat areas between you and your focal point, or directly behind the focal point to distort the image you see, simple as that

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I admit I never spent much time shooting at distances where mirage (or the visual distortion caused by heat rising from the ground) played any factor in my shooting. In urban settings, a 100 yard shot was a very long shot. Later in life in the AZ back country we learned to shoot out to 100o yards, and while its nice to be able to do that, reality has most shots in the field taken out to about 300 or 400. And usually from some sort of "non-prone" position.

Glass...I know this is like discussing women. Some guys like muscular dark haired crossfit girls...other like full bodied viking lasses. Every non-red dot optic on my rifles is a Leupold scope. Yes...I know...gotta have something to complain about when the companies Remington, SIG, or Glock afre mentioned. Get whatever blows your hair back..all of mine are Leupold.

As we move into 2019 we will do some work with bolt guns again...specially the 700-CPs. I expect other than the dedicated precision rifles (which will have something like 3x10 or 4x14s), the short sniper "pistols" will likely get something in the 1x4 power.

Not sure what that has to do specifically with "mirage" but I can see it fine with all the Leupold glass, and with a Kestrel, a scan of the vegetation along the line of fire, and some educated guessing, I can hold sufficiently into the wind to still hit.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Well, Gabe explained it in his first line, MIRAGE is the visual distortion caused by heat rising from the ground. In sniping is used to try to GUESS what the wind is doing at different distances. If you are shooting at 1000 yards you should check mirage at least in two different places between you and the target. I am probably getting old but I cannot see what the mirage is doing at 700 yards. After all the saying: Elevation is science, Windage is voodoo is at the end correct.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Your talking about reading mirage. Anywhere from 20x up will work, you need less power when the mirage is really bad, so a variable spotting scope is a good idea.