Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What role for a short 223 bolt gun?

Looking around the internet and come across the 700 SPS 16.5 in 223. What role would this setup serve better than the same gun in 308 for non-LE use? In other words, why would I want this more in 223 than 308?

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    Looking around the internet and come across the 700 SPS 16.5” in 223. What role would this setup serve better than the same gun in 308 for non-LE use? In other words, why would I want this more in 223 than 308?
    A handful of things come to mind. 1) it's far cheaper to train with. 2) suppression benefits. 3) I'd rather use a .223/5.56 on 4 legged varmints. 4) if you're not already in the .308 game and want to keep commonality of caliber with your ARs. 5) your environment of intended use is less than 800m.

Again filter it through the Role/Niche/Envelope filter.

Envelope: Within 800m, quick follow up shots (for a bolt gun), wide range of projectiles that can have different effect at different distances.

Role: it's a bolt gun so it's for precision shots with a magnified optic, so you need to decide what you want to use it for and judge if the Envelope and niche line up.

Niche: A bolt gun is for milking out the most precision from a cartridge due to tighter tolerances, where rate of fire isn't as much of a concern. While it's envelope is +/- 800m the energy from the cartridge won't transfer as well as .308 so the shots need to be more precise for a 1 shot drop.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

In general, ammunition commonality with most ARs, shorter expected range of engagement, targets of light or less heavily armored construction.

Ammo and a good glass make all the difference, though, and useful work can be done at longer ranges and heavier barriers if proper choices are made.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

183. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    Looking around the internet and come across the 700 SPS 16.5” in 223. What role would this setup serve better than the same gun in 308 for non-LE use? In other words, why would I want this more in 223 than 308?
    There are getting to be some nice 6.5 Grendel bolt guns out there too. I have three of them. One Howa set up in a chassis for long-distance precision stuff (Steel, paper, rock chucks, etc...), one Howa set up with its OEM stock for hunting/killing stuff and a Ruger which is the roughest, crappiest feeling rifle I've ever owned but it shoots great and uses 6.5 AR mags.
    CZ makes some as well.

The Grendel gives pros of low recoil like the 5.56 but is much more capable. There is cheap Wolf ammo for screwing around or teaching kids to shoot and there's high end ammo for other stuff.

Nothing wrong with .223 for what it is. But the Grendel is pretty shiny in this role IMO.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

For a bolt gun if ammo cost is not a factor and I am looking for a lighter recoiling load I would look at the .257 roberts or .243 winchester or 6.5 creedmore.
    The .223 has a lot of cheap ammo available and for sure a ton of accessories. For a .223 you need to decide on the twist.
    A 6.5 grendel is intended to get as much as you can out of an AR15 platform. Plus side is the cheaper wolf steel case for general shooting.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Remington's police/tactical .223s usually have a 1:9 twist, I guess that's fine. The regular 700s and Sevens usually have a 1:12. My 1:12 R700 shoots great with light bullets, really likes the 50 grain American Eagle Varmint load but throws stuff over 60 grains sideways.

223 bolt gun in a Tikka T3, which is twisted correctly, 77 grain bullets and a reliably dialing scope is a giant killer. Cheap to shoot and little to no recoil rifles get shot alot more than anything and that is more important than anything IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback.

Taking into account the advantages and limitations of this rifle in 223/1:9, if you bought this and your goal was to learn how to shoot a scoped rifle well, what sort of glass would you hang on it? By that I mean if you were coming into this with essentially no scoped rifle experience (certainly not any derived from actual deliberate study), and wanted to intentionally train to maximize this platform's potential in the <400yd range and to develop your own abilities to run it well, what sort of scope would you be looking for that would get the job done and also be a good learning tool?

I have an eye on the 700 CP in 300 BO. Add a 1-5 variable, a "Folding Brace", and a Short can as the ultimate poacher/urban sniper.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I have an eye on the 700 CP in 300 BO. Add a 1-5 variable, a "Folding Brace", and a Short can as the ultimate poacher/urban sniper.
    Any word on an ETA for those?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net