Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We moved a few years ago, and the new house didn't have a good out of they way place for my safe. The house was also lacking in shelf space, so we killed two birds with one stone (see photo). Out of frame to the left is a nice wooden desk that belonged to my great uncle for whom I am named. Out of frame right is a skull mount from a nice 10-point that I shot a couple of years ago, and a small love seat. The room also has a comfortable chair and a floor lamp along with an end table and lamp beside the love seat. The lamps need updating, but they work well. Also, the cabinets below the shelves are where I store my ammo, mags, holsters, etc. This is easily my favorite room in our house.

Oh, I also have two framed prints on the wall--"The Fall of Icarus" by Bruegel and "Lift Up Thine Eyes" by Rockwell. If anyone has ever noticed the prints, they didn't comment, but I think they go together perfectly.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    "Consequence outweighs probability." - Blaise Pascal

First, consider what your wife will actually support. While it may be your room, it's in her house. Hopefully there is a design that will please you both. I'll do pretty much whatever I want in my garage/shop, but I make concessions in the house.

Second, decide whether this is a DIY project or not. I build furniture as a hobby. For me, paying someone else to do it would deprive me of half of the enjoyment. I want to build it myself. But this takes longer, requires sweat equity, and probably won't cost me less in the end. In NC, if you swing a dead cat over your head you'll hit three woodworkers. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding someone to build it for you. Being new to the south, though, be forewarned that they work at a pace that will infuriate you.

Build in plenty of electrical outlets. While you may envision an old English study, this is the 21st Century and things continue to become more and more wired.

Built-ins are nice, but not appropriate to every space. Lots of people put a study or office into a bedroom. The next person who buys the home may need it as an actual bedroom, and they won't want to rip out your built-in bookshelves. Plus you may want to take your nice study with you.

You can do a lot with paint. I can quickly trim out a room with walnut wainscoting that looks like something from Downton Abbey, but it will cost a whole lot more than a few gallons of Sherwin Williams and some rollers. And it's not easily reversible.

Not everything needs to be adjustable. The trend with bookshelves these days is to just run 5mm or 1/4" holes up the full length of everything and then set the shelves wherever you want them. It is a far weaker design and it leaves ugly holes all along the inside faces of the shelving. A solid dado looks cleaner, holds more weight, and lasts longer. Use adjustable shelving sparingly.

If you plan to paint it, go with poplar. If you plan to leave the beauty of the wood exposed, look principally at cherry and walnut. For a very light Scandinavian look, maple and birch are good choices. For an old English look, you want something dark. Cherry won't look that dark to you at the lumber yard, but it deepens with age. Oak is a good wood, but most people stain it, and I hate stain. Modern day mahogany is all African Mahogany, and it doesn't produce the look that most people still associate with mahogany.

Be sure that you have both drawers and some concealed cabinet space. We all end up with junk that just needs to be hidden behind a door. And drawers are a far better way of organizing small items.

Splurge on a good chair for reading.
    Virtute et Armis