Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, I broke a lot of shit myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I would avoid glass anything with urchins and dogs running around.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

Welcome to NC.

Where are you now?

Also, enjoy these younger years of your
    children. I am sure others have told, they
    grow up fast.

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

FWIW... Build your own. You can get precisely the shelf spacing, width etc for the room in question. That said, it's a slow process. I have one wall of four complete. Full height book shelves left and right of center window. Desk fills in between ( Double wide window.). Bridge over window, joining the bookshelves, acts like a cornice, and provides a place to display trinkets and trash.

Sure, you can contract it too, but this has been a fun project. I'll try and get some photos later.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    Welcome to NC.

Where are you now?

Also, enjoy these younger years of your
    children. I am sure others have told, they
    grow up fast.

John
    We are in the Rocky Mount area for now while we home shop. We will likely land in Nash or Edgecomb counties but we have looked as far away as Fayetteville.

The kids are fun and I'm trying to squeeze as much as I can out of every minute :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    FWIW... Build your own. You can get precisely the shelf spacing, width etc for the room in question. That said, it's a slow process. I have one wall of four complete. Full height book shelves left and right of center window. Desk fills in between ( Double wide window.). Bridge over window, joining the bookshelves, acts like a cornice, and provides a place to display trinkets and trash.

Sure, you can contract it too, but this has been a fun project. I'll try and get some photos later.
    I was researching this just yesterday. I would be an absolute novice and I'm afraid my shelves wouldn't come out well, but I might still give it a try.

I like what you describe about building around a window. The home we just put an offer on has a bay window in the study so I'm not sure how that would work out.

I was thinking of putting built ins on the opposite wall and having the desk face the built ins / study door with back to the window.

IF the room is big enough, you might consider a hidden rack for non public guns; positioned behind the book shelves. I had a hidden room located behind a "built in" book shelf. The hinges were hidden and there was a hidden "lock". If I were doing it again I like the idea of something the whole length of the room. It only needs to be maybe 12" deep, so you don't lose a lot of room. Your public display guns can be visible, so everybody who knows you have guns can be satisfied when they see them but the ones you don't want seen stay hidden.

If you hunt this is the place for your trophies. This is also the place for your "Life-er Wall", and maybe a shelf for your high end adult beverages???

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    IF the room is big enough, you might consider a hidden rack for non public guns; positioned behind the book shelves. I had a hidden room located behind a "built in" book shelf. The hinges were hidden and there was a hidden "lock". If I were doing it again I like the idea of something the whole length of the room. It only needs to be maybe 12" deep, so you don't lose a lot of room. Your public display guns can be visible, so everybody who knows you have guns can be satisfied when they see them but the ones you don't want seen stay hidden.

If you hunt this is the place for your trophies. This is also the place for your "Life-er Wall", and maybe a shelf for your high end adult beverages???
    I don't think it's big enough for a large compartment like that, but maybe.

I do want to get into hunting as soon as life allows. I might go on the deer hunt this year if I get into a home in time.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    I don't think it's big enough for a large compartment like that, but maybe..
    It only needs to be maybe 8" deep, just enough to lean a row of guns against the wall. You can turn them sideways to keep the depth to a minimum.

You may not spend much time on the site if you're like me, but Mrs. 303 has a whole board on Pintrest for stuff like this, and there are tons of great examples from history and modern stuff. It's actually worthwhile to get an account if you're searching for ideas.
    Armed Puritan

Quote Originally Posted by TFA303 View Post
    You may not spend much time on the site if you're like me, but Mrs. 303 has a whole board on Pintrest for stuff like this, and there are tons of great examples from history and modern stuff. It's actually worthwhile to get an account if you're searching for ideas.
    Haha yeah, I've spent a lot of time looking at Pinterest and various blogs / art of man type sites looking for ideas.