Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The man's Study room or office

I posted a few months back about moving...we did it. We are now in NC and looking for a home.

Cashing out of our home in UT was a pretty lucrative move and I'm fairly certain we will be able to not only get a nicer home but also purchase a rental property or two to boot.

One thing I need, since I work from home, is a home office. I'd like to make it more of a formal or traditional "study": a space I can use for work, or as a retreat to read a good book or listen to music in peace, or to entertain close friends.

I think I would like it to also have a corner or something dedicated to paying homage to the men that influenced me, but are now beyond the veil.

Maybe also a place to showcase some firearms, display hunting trophies, etc...

Of course a library of books too.

Does anyone have a formal study or office? How is it decorated or arranged? What and how do you use it?

I'm not really interested in using it for things like video games, tv, or sports and such. I want this to be mature.

Anyone care to share pictures, ideas, etc?

Excellent idea. I am in the position where my entire home is like that.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Bookshelves. Lots and lots of them. I'd seriously consider built-in units, possibly with glass fronts. And you may want a desk, or at least a commodious side table.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Excellent idea. I am in the position where my entire home is like that.
    One day I hope to have our home like that as well. Children ages 4-6-8 preclude that for now. :) For the moment mine is filled with sounds of children's laughter, games and TV shows, decorated with children's toys scattered about, and generally poorly arranged for quiet reflection or work.

Right now I wouldn't have it any other way. For now a room would suffice :)

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    One day I hope to have our home like that as well. Children ages 4-6-8 preclude that for now. :) For the moment mine is filled with sounds of children's laughter, games and TV shows, decorated with children's toys scattered about, and generally poorly arranged for quiet reflection or work.

Right now I wouldn't have it any other way. For now a room would suffice :)
    Agreed.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Bookshelves. Lots and lots of them. I'd seriously consider built-in units, possibly with glass fronts. And you may want a desk, or at least a commodious side table.
    I would avoid glass anything with urchins and dogs running around.
    Gabriel Suarez

Are you imagining something along the lines of an English mens' club? Wood paneling, overstuffed leather chairs, inset bookshelves? Or maybe more like a hunting lodge? Something more modern?
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Built-ins are on my mind. I don't know how feasible it would be, but I was thinking something split into three sections: to the left and to the right bookshelves, and in the middle a gun cabinet for displaying a few choice firearms (my great grandfather's single shot 20 ga shotgun, or my grandfather's 1911). All conceptual only at this point, of course.

For the desk, I'm thinking a a large, well made wooden desk (I'm not well versed on furniture, but something in oak or mahogany or something like that). No ikea crap.

I'd like to use soft white lighting for ambiance, but when using the space for work I will probably use bright "daylight" lighting. I would prefer my computer monitors and assorted hardware to be hidden, either in a cabinet of their own, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post
    Are you imagining something along the lines of an English mens' club? Wood paneling, overstuffed leather chairs, inset bookshelves? Or maybe more like a hunting lodge? Something more modern?
    Some of that, yes. I'm not sure what 'theme' I'm going for really - english men's club vs hunting lodge.

I do really like the overstuffed leather chairs and inset bookshelves. Wood paneling I have mixed feelings on...I've seen so much of it poorly done / cared for in the houses we have seen that I just don't know if I would like it.

Darker wall color is in order (burgundy, dark blue, brown, something like that). Wood floors and most likely a rug, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I would avoid glass anything with urchins and dogs running around.
    This is a good point. I'm hoping to have french doors to close off the space, but glass could be a bad thing.

And nothing beats a large imposing desk for standing in front of while contemplating one's crimes, wondering what discipline will be meeted out for one's poor behavior.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!