Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default STRATEGIES AND TACTICS FOR COUNTERING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER

I thought this bore the need for a new thread. In the discussion arising from PDWs and roles of weapons we had this great post from Coastalcop. My response below. This bears a great deal of discussion from the tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    This seemed to shock them so I further explained " We are pushing towards the attack and moving towards the sound of gunfire , I turn the corner and see someone shooting into a classroom, so I shoot him. Any active attack event can be seen through this lense. Adding a long gun ONLY makes you more observable and deserving of attention in the threat matrix.
    And something that seems to never be addressed elsewhere is that your tactics for dealing with the active shooter with those dynamics in mind. Your tactics and methods must take that into consideration. Off duty and UC LE have always kept these things in mind and how to comport themselves to avoid a blue-on-blue event. It is always a risk.

The thing I have always kept in mind is an analogy of the Lord Of The Rings theme when Frodo puts on the ring, Sauron and his minions can see him. It is a similar thing. You are invisible until you bring out the pistol. Then you are a part of the game and not just a spectator. So bring it into action...kill what needs to be killed...and become invisible again...or at least less visible. In active shooter events there is no capture...no holding bad guys at gun point...none of that. It is locate, close, and eliminate...then holster or hold at close SUL.

What you want the LE to see is either the man and not the gun, or failing to provide that image, a clean cut, fit man that may possibly be off duty LE handling his weapon like a professional. There is never a second chance to make a first impression, and you will be judged by what you are doing at the moment of first visual.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Im teaching today so not much time to post,

but think of how the last couple of active shooters had dressed. Tac kit, etc. not tooo unlike good guy responders that threw on their plate carrier , so mis identification CAN happen, thankfully its rare but I couldnt for the life of me tell you what our local federal parks service police looks like.

Our last hostage situation had about 75 LEO from various agencies respond, I knew about 25% of them, thankfully the event wasnt as time compressed as an active attack.

Will write more later
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Excellent...Thanks Coastal. Hopefully some other LE will comment as I know there are plenty here. Everyone wants to shoot the bad guy...but nobody wants to shoot a good guy by mistake...or get shot by a good guy.

And to be honest...all those CCW heroes that some are concerned about...the reality is that when the first shots go off they will channel Ayoob and come up with a myriad of reasons they should not engage. I doubt we will be running into many of them.

So that said...if we are seen by the good guys we want them to think...at first glance...that we are also good guys...members of their tribe so to speak. How do we do that?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

...thankfully the event wasn't as time compressed as an active attack."

This cannot be emphasized enough. It takes a cool head to run code, armor up, lock and load and start the hunt. First responders will be amped, psyched, and literally straining at the leash. Even in "the moderate stress of the training environment" bystanders/actors get run down, knocked down, hit with weapons. Doors get stuffed, furniture sent flying, and tangos get shot again and again until they hopefully have the sense to lie down. In the real thing, people are dying and there is little time for careful analysis and decisionmaking. No one is going to read your hat.

Don't look like a bad guy. Don't act like a bad guy. And don't get in the way.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

245. And a wakeup.

Wasn't the movie house shooter in Colorado dressed in tac gear and some responders thought he was one of them when they saw him out side??

This is something everyone who carries a gun should be thinking about and planning for. Good advice.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Some of this we have touched upon in the past though I don't remember how in depth it went. One of key things being to cause that moment of hesitation or doubt in the responding officers mind. Especially in areas where CCW is very common. I have heard our Sheriff talk about it at various times and how they can't go in and just blast everyone with a gun as there is a very high chance of a private citizen being present. Though they haven't given any detail about what their though process is as to how they identify them as far as I know.

Regardless anyone there before the police arrive shouldn't get tunnel vision and plan on imminent police arrival and have a plan.

It also helps to not be dressed like a slob or a thug. Good guys already have a range of unofficial uniforms and styles of dress.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Default STRATEGIES AND TACTICS FOR COUNTERING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER

Considerations before and after Bang:

*Where:
    NPE (GFZ) or free carry area. Proximity of uniformed or UC response (Time/Distance). Distance from you to threat.
    *When:
    Are you “there” or near for first rounds or are you moving to contact?
    *What:
    Bursts or varying rate of reports. Heavy v light reports- type weapon.
    *Who:
    Civvies/street clothes: CCW, UC, off-duty LE, AND...BG(s).
    Uniforms: LE, SWAT, EMS, SRO, AND ...BG(s)

Add to, rearrange, delete, clariylfy...go
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 07-26-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

I'm going to wade in a little late. It seems many of these scenarios we are responding with little description of the shooter. Getting the offender dead is very time sensitive. Every second he continues breathing he continues to kill. Gun in hand in plainclothes could easily get you shot. If I'm the responding deputy a long gun in hand in plain clothes definitely buys you a handful of rounds to your face/ head. If your off duty throw a plate carrier in your vehicle clearly marked as law enforcement. If you go back to get your long gun make sure you get it too. If you are in the mall or something similar just get the threat over with and get that weapon holstered. Many leo have never fired a weapon in anger before, they see someone with a gun through their super cool aim point CCO they will shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Wasn't the movie house shooter in Colorado dressed in tac gear and some responders thought he was one of them when they saw him out side??
    This is something everyone who carries a gun should be thinking about and planning for. Good advice.
    I know the guy (Jason Oviatt) who is credited with arresting the shooter, so yesterday I asked him (we have a martial arts class together).

Yeah, he was wearing a "tactical vest", military style helmet and gasmask, "black" windbreaker and black pants.

He initially thought the guy was a cop, and one of the other policemen nearby was wondering "how did swat get here so fast" before Jason realized something was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVOZnlCI2xE

This is where streamlining OODA/flowchart comes in.

See a guy shooting unarmed civilians, kill him.

It doesn't matter what he's wearing.

The old joke is no joke at all.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

245. And a wakeup.