Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Legal: Shotgun or something else

Lets assume the following scenario:

You need a weapon for home defense. You already have a pistol and a rifle. But you must consider this. Assume you may have to shoot somebody who has gained wrongful entry to your premises. In the civil court case, an attorney judge holds up to a relatively liberally loaded jury your weapon of choice. hey says "Mr. Home Defender shot my client with THIS (holds Up) weapon. The jury reaction may be largely dependant upon the aesthetics of the weapon, its apparent malevolence or benevolence.

You need the most effective weapon that will minimize the damage done in court by its mere appearance. My argument is this: the shotgun (perhaps in wood format) looks the least consipicuous of any weapon shown to the average citizen. Therefore, it may in fact be the winner in court, all other things being the same.

Yes I like my carbines. But I have the suspicion that the wood clad shotgun may very well be the most acceptable to average joe citizen.

Impressions?

Treyarch Guest
    I think you need to be more careful about when the use of force is justified and make sure that you are a law abiding citizen with no guns that are illegal in your area.

Then use a 590 with a 9 shot tube, flashlight, side saddle and a tritium front bead, and a pistol grip w/ colapsing stock to kill the baddie.

Your behavior, before-during-after the incident will be more critical than your gun.

A lot will depend on where you live as well.

I live just outside PC Virginia. Yes all my guns ar 100% legal in every shape and form. Is not the choice of weapon conduct in and of itself? IE: jury sees person who chose wood furniture shotgun, could be a legit hunting gun. or, jury sees nice man in suit who used a 30 shot clip swat looking gun. Says something about the person (gung ho wannabe mall ninja or just regular guy who had shotgun)?

I use a standard Remy 870 with Surefire forend. the light is a must since you want to identify what you might be shooting at. other then that, a Jr. stock to shorten the pull is all I done.

Default home defense

I guess it's different in every state, but in general Mas Ayoob and others who study shooting aftermath in court say whatever the police use in your area is defendable in court.For static defense a shotgun is hard to beat but a handgun is much more practicle if you have to search the house or flip a light switch or heard family into a safe room.Something to consider is in a pinch can the wife handle that 12 ga.Most often no.Beretta makes a nice pistol cal carbine.Short controlable and accurate.Is it as powerful as a shotgun;not hardly.It may seem like a small consideration now but shotgun or ar15 shot inside and you better hope you don't need to hear anything soon.Possible perm. hearing loss.Every situation is different.Try to shoot that pumpgun from an awkward position at the range.prone;with possible injury.1 handed etc.Just a thought.

I have dreamed up the perfect PC home defense gun. Now all I need is a truckload of capital, lots of machine tools and expertise in engineering. Here is my idea:

A bottom-ejecting semi-auto 12 ga. shotgun, built in a way that it appears to be an over-under double-barrel shotgun. The magazine tube is disguised to look like the lower barrel. Pretty wood with lots of character. Deep carbona bluing, polished up like a mirror. A tactical light that was purpose built into the end of the magazine tube, slightly recessed from the false muzzle, with a small and unobtrusive momentary-on switch built into the foregrip.

With an 18" barrel and a shortened stock, it would just look like a miniature sporting clays gun. Take it quail hunting once, just so you can honestly call it your bird gun.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog
    I have dreamed up the perfect PC home defense gun. Now all I need is a truckload of capital, lots of machine tools and expertise in engineering. Here is my idea:

A bottom-ejecting semi-auto 12 ga. shotgun, built in a way that it appears to be an over-under double-barrel shotgun. The magazine tube is disguised to look like the lower barrel. Pretty wood with lots of character. Deep carbona bluing, polished up like a mirror. A tactical light that was purpose built into the end of the magazine tube, slightly recessed from the false muzzle, with a small and unobtrusive momentary-on switch built into the foregrip.

With an 18" barrel and a shortened stock, it would just look like a miniature sporting clays gun. Take it quail hunting once, just so you can honestly call it your bird gun.
    Ithaca 37 pumps are bottom ejecting, perhaps that could be your starting platform?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Swain
    Ithaca 37 pumps are bottom ejecting, perhaps that could be your starting platform?

Of all the modern pump action shotguns that I have owned, this was my favorite.
    My favorite pump of all time was my Winchester 1897 ( built in 1897,) with British straight stock ( no pistol grip,) & Victorian Black powder proof marks. - Financial problems led me to sell it to a friend here in Rio. :(
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

I try to keep up to date on shootings in my area. I can't recall where the type of weapon involved in the shooting made a whole lot of difference IF the incident came to trial.

Most shootings in my area are drug/gang related. We don't have 'liberal' juries in my area. Most are very conservative. Most are victims of crime or have close relatives and friends who were victims. Many have had their homes broken into. That's the way the jury pool is. They don't care if a BG is shot with a legal, illegal, bad looking or whatever weapon.

Legitimate home defense cases in my area are NOT prosecuted. Maybe Ayoob is talking about San Francisco or Beverely Hills?
    Last edited by Lou Costello; 05-23-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    Lou C.