Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I carry 30-35 pounds of gear at work, not much compared to a SWAT operator or an infantryman, but a lot compared to most working folks. And that's without a rifle and its loadout.

It's hard enough to move quickly and smoothly in that gear, especially as the years go by.

Off duty it's a pistol, backup, spare mags and the usual stuff. Why would I burden myself with a backpack, yoga bag or merse while I'm out and about in public? I move better without impedimenta, and I don't have a bag I have to carry, guard and place. I don't run around with a laptop, either. What a pain in the a**.

The problem will be solved by me, with what I have on me.
    Hey Papa, your inbox is full brother, got a PM to send ya.

Should be OK now.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I carry 30-35 pounds of gear at work, not much compared to a SWAT operator or an infantryman, but a lot compared to most working folks. And that's without a rifle and its loadout.

It's hard enough to move quickly and smoothly in that gear, especially as the years go by.

Off duty it's a pistol, backup, spare mags and the usual stuff. Why would I burden myself with a backpack, yoga bag or merse while I'm out and about in public? I move better without impedimenta, and I don't have a bag I have to carry, guard and place. I don't run around with a laptop, either. What a pain in the a**.

The problem will be solved by me, with what I have on me.
    Exactly right. In this instance, speed is your security.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by roll tide View Post
    We have all agreed that we aren’t training or preparing for a thug with a screwdriver anymore . Much thought has been given in this forum about Active Shooters and the like.... An AR or AK SBR or. “ Pistol” would certainly be my choice over a shotgun or a pistol. if you have access to a shotgun then you also have access to a Shirty rifle- Hostage rescue shot with a shotgun ? The red dot pistol is a game changer for sure but for me, a short rifle is best-
    A short rifle that YOU WILL NOT HAVE WITH YOU when the party starts unannounced. But what do I know...
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

This bears repeating:

SBRs, PDW, et al are weapons you have on hand in the office, at home and in the vehicle for those opportunities when you have a degree of warning and preparation.
    Those are all good weapons but we must use common sense and recognize we are not going to have them on us 99% of the time when we are going about our normal day. (I should make that 100% of the time...because we will only choose to take them with us when there is something extraordinary...which goes back to Gabe’s point about a degree of warning and preparation.)

I have done a lot of work with SBRs and PDWs in bags because I thought it was an interesting study. It is practical to have a bag to transport then, so it might as well be something comfortable to wear and at least somewhat deniable to a casual glance. Going to and from a location for instance, you may not want curious neighbors looking at you taking guns back and forth. But this is not the same thing as choosing to walk around with an SBR to the mall.

I do have a laptop bag which I often have with me. Because I can and because I wanted to, I set it up for a PDW. But I certainly don’t carry it every where. I have to have a reason to carry my LAPTOP...and if I do, the PDW will ride along. But that’s not something I take to the mall or the park or the movies. More than anything, the bag is a convenient place to store and transport the PDW. It makes a very convenient vehicle gun that way.

The confluence of fortuitous events that would have to conspire to make accessing a PDW viable in a fast developing event...well if that happened I would immediately go buy a lotto ticket.

The problems we are likely to run into will need to be solved by the pistol on our belt.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

And I will point out that in modern society it is unusual to see a non uniformed man running around with a rifle. In an active shooter event, a non uniformed man with a rifle, will be assumed by everyone to be a threat.

Would an undercover or plain clothes officer grab a rifle and enter an active shooter event with no identification as police officer? Not likely knowing that there may be other officers there on their own time as well as other armed personnel that would misidentify him.

Unexpected events in public are pistol problems by necessity and circumstance. Why is that so hard to accept?
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    And I will point out that in modern society it is unusual to see a non uniformed man running around with a rifle. In an active shooter event, a non uniformed man with a rifle, will be assumed by everyone to be a threat.

Would an undercover or plain clothes officer grab a rifle and enter an active shooter event with no identification as police officer? Not likely knowing that there may be other officers there on their own time as well as other armed personnel that would misidentify him.

Unexpected events in public are pistol problems by necessity and circumstance. Why is that so hard to accept?
    Its the same Walter Mitty crap that flares up on a regular basis like a case of the Herpes.

I like PDWs, rifles, and shotguns. Last night as a monsoon approached I took the K9 unit out to do do his business before we cinched down the ship. I went into the training room to wait and this discussion in mind opened the safe. I have five PDW, four SBR rifles (NFA) and four AR "pistols", at least seven other M4 based rifles and a couple of AKs still...and five 870 shotguns that I could count without moving things around. And that is in the safe, not weapons in ready storage around the house. I like combat long arms and none of mine are designed for hunting or sport.

But the reality is that when we get into an UNPLANNED confrontation, the weapon we will be using by necessity is a pistol. Those other blasters are there for PLANNED events such as would be found when there is sufficient warning...such as at home, such as at work, such as in a riot situation that you have prepared for.

Those two are far different in nature and scope and the weapons used in each are also different by necessity and dynamics.
    Gabriel Suarez

In SWAT, I generally always carried a SMG, with the MP-5 being my favorite flavor. That was long ago and far away while wearing a uniform and often acting in a proactive and defined manner. Being retired and wearing nothing to identify me as a good guy, I have learned to rely on what I can effectively carry and conceal. I have also come to realize that I am now largely reactive and don't have the luxury of ready back-up if I find myself in the soup. These realizations have led me to equip myself with the best options available that still fit inside the parameters listed above. In short, I agree with those who have spoken of choosing the best weapon for the potentials that don't tend to draw unwelcome attention, but will provide the necessary level of proactive capability in a given situation. For me, that means a concealable handgun (G19) in a double-stack format with RDS, extra magazines and a reliable back-up gun; whether a j-frame revolver or a single-stack 9mm (my personal choices). While I still have my ARs, 870s and the like, it's not possible or practical for me to have them with me any time there is an unplanned need for armed action.

IDENTIFIED BY THE WEAPON

Almost as a tailor made example of this discussion -

Who is the suspect?

Police shot and killed one gunman, who was wielding "some kind of rifle," shortly after he began firing.

"It appears it was somewhat random, the way he shot at people," Smithee said. He did not provide any additional details about the gunman.
    Who is the suspect?

Police shot and killed one gunman, who was wielding "some kind of rifle," shortly after he began firing.
    "It appears it was somewhat random, the way he shot at people," Smithee said. He did not provide any additional details about the gunman.
    Gabriel Suarez