Default Streamlight has a new integral pump light...

Here's a new option from Streamlight for pump shotguns. Available for 500/590's and 870's and under $130 on Amazon, it might be worth a try.
    My shotgun is a 1301 so I'm just passing this on for anyone interested... A much cheaper option than Surefire, if it works properly.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...dex/tl-racker#
    Last edited by John_Frederick; 07-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Seen it...tried it. Feels clumsier than slow dancing with a 500 pound Sumo Girl.

If it was GTG, we would have added it to the line up on the Stakeout/Pointman series. On that note, the new Surefire is also rather oversized. My preference is the old (antique) Surefire forends as shown on one of my personal Pointman weapons. Surefire doesn't make these and could not give five shits what I think since I am not as cool (nor as fat) as their current advisors.

fbpm12.jpg

Those who want a light on their weapons today in 2019...I suggest a Magpul

Forend, stippled by someone who knows how, and a short rail mounted light.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I bought one of these the other day just because it was cheap enough that it was worth trying.

I haven't had the opportunity to install it yet, let alone work with it. I did pull it out of the box and take a look. My initial impression was that the old surefire set ups (no longer available is my understanding) are still better...cleaner looking and I think trimmer in the hand. Keep in mind that I've only fondled it out of the box, but I think the Magpul foreends feel much better in the hand than this Streamlight. It's kinda bulky for what it is.

That said I think it will likely do the job that's intended. How well it does that job is another story. Just feeling it in the hand, I *THINK* will not be as comfortable to shoot as a Magpull foreend with a light on the rail but that remains to be seen.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Gabe beat me to it. I see our opinions match.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Well then... At least my post will save some of us from wasted time and money. Thanks guys.

I bought both a Surefire DSF and a Streamlight Racker forend recently. Figured I’d try them both and pick the one I liked best. After trying both of them in different dryfire drills, moving through my house and apartment, live fire at the range, and shooting at night on the farm, I can honestly say I strongly prefer the Streamlight product over the Surefire. Something I never thought I’d say. The Surefire is so much more heavy and clunky-feeling and it’s momentary switch is set farther forward than I like. I hear the switches can be re-programmed on the newer model. The Streamlight is noticeably lighter, the switch is a big bar, so you can’t miss it, and is grippier than the Surefire. I also find it more comfortable than the Surefire, but this is a subjective thing.

Now to the downsides. The Streamlight is too bright. I found myself using the 200 lumen setting on the Surefire (you can set it for either 200 or 600 lumens), as a shotgun is an in-home weapon for me, and 600 lumens is a bit too bright indoors with white walls. The Streamlight is freaking 850 lumens. Too much. So, point for Surefire. The other downside is that the Streamlight FEELS cheap. It feels like it’s made of the kind of plastic that belongs on an air soft gun. It may prove to be more robust than it feels, but time will tell. The Surefire definitely has the edge in build quality.

All that said, I still prefer the Streamlight for what I’m going to use it for... a bedside gun for inside the home. I can deal with it being a bit brighter than I’d like, and despite its plasticky feel, it still feels plenty robust. What sealed the deal for me was the better switch positioning on the Streamlight, and the fact that the Streamlight feels more svelt and streamlined than the Surefire. The Surefire is just... big, in every way.

In the end, the DSF is on my 18” fixed stock 870, and the Racker is on my braced bedside Tac-14. (The side-folding brace kit from Suarez with SBA3 is awesome, by the way. It’s a tank.) I have a couple other things on the way, parts for an outside-the-box lighting solution for the Tac-14. Will post the results of that experiment when it’s finished.
    Last edited by MesserMan; 08-31-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

FYI, will NOT fit the Shockwave, whose forend is annoyingly shorter.

-- ML