Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    What X? I don't worry bout gettin off no stinkin X!!!!

geezer john

PS - Around here we call the above a "Code Brown" moment:)
    Between this and the Black Mamba vid yesterday - I'm a gonna need some new undies!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Grizzly skulls nowhere like what there is on a cape buffalo. I know of a case of AK rounds ricocheting off the horns of them. Case in particular there was a cull-butchering event of large herd. A minister of the Gov showed up to see it. A helicopter was above with shooters armed with .458 rifles in the doors on each side doing in the critters. The minster's guards showed up decided they wanted to shoot and rounds ricocheted up towards the copter.
    Not sure what large critter kills the most in africa. High on the list are Hippos, and crocs at one time got a few. Likely it is snakes that kill the most.
    Well Cape Buffalo tend to kill the most hunters. Though I would say the most dangerous animal in Africa is the Mosquito. All those diseases and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    What X? I don't worry bout gettin off no stinkin X!!!!

geezer john

PS - Around here we call the above a "Code Brown" moment:)
    Between this and the Black Mamba vid yesterday - I'm a gonna need some new undies!!!!!
    You aren't going to out run a charging animal. All you can do is plant yourself and put a big ass round though it in the limited amount of time you have.

Check out some YouTube videos of charging Grizzlies and consider the options. Do you really think a freakin' sks with 10 123gn rounds is a good idea? If you want an auto loader at least get an AR in .458 Socom. This stuff isn't that hard. Its easy to find out what the people out there in the woods right now are carrying purposefully; Why they choose large well constructed rounds.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Well Cape Buffalo tend to kill the most hunters. Though I would say the most dangerous animal in Africa is the Mosquito. All those diseases and what not.

You aren't going to out run a charging animal. All you can do is plant yourself and put a big ass round though it in the limited amount of time you have.

Check out some YouTube videos of charging Grizzlies and consider the options. Do you really think a freakin' sks with 10 123gn rounds is a good idea? If you want an auto loader at least get an AR in .458 Socom. This stuff isn't that hard. Its easy to find out what the people out there in the woods right now are carrying purposefully; Why they choose large well constructed rounds.
    A .458 Socom is quite a round. My interest is an open iron sight fast handling carbine that shoulders fast. The thing the double rifle has going for it for reactive use is that under stress it will get that first shoot off in the most effective manner possible and after the recoil, the second shot also. Then your gun is empty. A big game hunter in africa typically is not alone and there is usually a second gun to back him up.
    I do not care for the safeties on either the AK or AR for a rapid first shot. Those rifles I take the safety of before hand in a proactive manner.

I think a cape bufffalo, rhino, for sure an elephant easier to hit than a much smaller carnivore like a grizzly or lion. I look upon this the same way I would a human. Keep shooting till they are down. I would prefer a rem 870 with slugs to the 458 socom. I think it handles faster.

SKS safety is not so different from what some shotguns use.

It may be that the cape buffalo kills more hunters, but many of the old timers considered the leopard to be the most dangerous to hunt. Small, elusive, but yet can kill you and contact tends to happen in the evening or after dark. My limited experience over that way was I was warned about leopards, but not the other critters. We were not hunting.
    Mosquito borne illnesses do kill more people.
    For big bear country I would want a 10 mm glock for reactive use since I will carrying other things and really do not want the burden of a shoulder weapon.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 08-03-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: better photo
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Dorkface

You are right mosquitoes kill the most people each year. Curiously they always get mentioned when the Most Dangerous Animal lists gets compiled but never make the list-Maybe it is because they don`t look dangerous/intimidating!

Leopards and baboons are ancient enemies which gives them a lot of practice in how to kill a human. Jumping on the back and biting the neck.

A young boy in South Africa was recently killed by a leopard in a nature reserve where his father is employed as a chief.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

A New Mexico Bear Attack Finally Stopped With a GLOCK 10mm Pistol

Multiple shots fired, 400 lbs black bear, over in 20 seconds or so.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-...k-10mm-pistol/
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

So:

1. Have a gun.
    2. Have a TQ. Or three.
    3. Never give up.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

361. And a wakeup.

A New Mexico Bear Attack Finally Stopped With a GLOCK 10mm Pistol

Multiple shots fired, 400 lbs black bear, over in 20 seconds or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    So:

1. Have a gun.
    2. Have a TQ. Or three.
    3. Never give up.
    In bear vs glock 10 mm: in the story the survivor made a point out of not being complacent which he was in the beginning. He had been involved in so many bear encounters as a hunting guide and the bears never attacked. He threw his on switch very quickly and dealt with it, but he came quite close to getting killed and it all happened very fast and close to his home.
    The big message to me is DO NOT BE COMPLACENT

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    i am a few miles south of you between chumuckla and woodbine road in Pace, fl.
    My brother lives in that area of Pace.

Great thread and thanks to all who contributed.

One interesting load I have tested in my shotgun recently is 3in 10 pellet hardcast 0000 buckshot. You'd have to test your gun but in mine it patterned pretty well.

If I were in grizzly country I would probably go with one of the hardened Brennekke slugs mentioned since those would penetrate well. I think in black bear country I would be fine with 9mm or 10mm.