Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default SHOTGUN VERSUS BEARS - II

A controversy I suppose.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Tagging this one to watch when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Perhaps I need to watch the videos since I not know there was controversy in using shotguns against bears. I know that shotguns are routinely carried by some to deal with brown bears. I see no issues with using them on our local black bears. I would probably chose triple ought buckshot rather than a slug or number 4 buckshot.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I'm thinking slugs. I don't want to annoy the bear, I want to put it down.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

280. And a wakeup.

Slugs is my plan as well.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Bears live all about my county of Santa Rosa County, FL. From our gulf coastal area today a couple of bears in the estimated 200-250 lbs range, well within capabilities of a shotgun loaded with buckshot.
    Evening news report
    Bears in pine trees force Navarre Park to close early on Friday

NAVARRE, Fla. (WEAR-TV) Two special visitors were caught on camera hanging from pine trees at a park in Santa Rosa County prompting officials to close the park.

According to Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office (SRCSO), two bears were seen hanging out and climbing pine trees at Navarre Park on Friday.
    These bears seldom cause a problem, but the potential is always there.

Screenshot_2019-07-19 Bear pair scare at Navarre Park.jpg
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

It shouldn't be controversial that a 12 ga Foster slug will take a black bear, happens all the time. Hunting a bear with a nice broadside heart/lung shot is not the same as stopping one charging head on. That Brenneke style Black Magic slug from the first video was impressive. I was hoping to see that in gel. That solid construction will smash bone rather than smash up against bone. A Grizzly is a hardened target from the front with his head down in a charge.

download (3).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    download (5).jpg

Long guns are powerful medicine for bears up to the point you're getting mauled. I had a conversation with an Alaskan guide that survived a mauling. The bear ambushed him from a thicket before he knew it was there. Fortunately his hunter was able to shoot it several times and it broke off the attack.

Those are some impressive photos!

Living in griz country, I always have either a 300BO pistol, a shockwave with alternating slugs & buck or my 10mm when stepping away from the vehicle.

A highway patrolman gave me a Herter's buck n ball that I usually put in the pipe of the shockwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    It shouldn't be controversial that a 12 ga Foster slug will take a black bear, happens all the time. Hunting a bear with a nice broadside heart/lung shot is not the same as stopping one charging head on. That Brenneke style Black Magic slug from the first video was impressive. I was hoping to see that in gel. That solid construction will smash bone rather than smash up against bone. A Grizzly is a hardened target from the front with his head down in a charge.

download (3).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    download (5).jpg

Long guns are powerful medicine for bears up to the point you're getting mauled. I had a conversation with an Alaskan guide that survived a mauling. The bear ambushed him from a thicket before he knew it was there. Fortunately his hunter was able to shoot it several times and it broke off the attack.
    "A terrible beauty" in those creatures. Not all things in this world exist for our benefit.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

280. And a wakeup.

There is a world of difference between a black bear and a grizzly... Even a difference between a southern black bear and a northern black bear.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015