Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 62-10 View Post
    Last time I checked, Illinois recognizes CCW from other states for in-vehicle pistol carry only, similar to what Pa does.
    That is how I recall the law.
    Regardless, I would avoid driving through Chicago for sure since your route is from Ohio to Kansas you should be able to do that. Aim for Indianapolis on your way for Kansas to avoid Chicago. The State Police likely better understand the law then is the case in some big cities.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    That is how I recall the law.
    NO, NO, NO! THERE IS NO RECIPROCITY. YOU CAN GET A NON-RESIDENT CCW, BUT THAT TAKES TIME...AND A BIG BOX OF MONEY. DON'T COME HERE THINKING YOUR CCW IS RECOGNIZED. IT IS NOT.
    And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Steven Spaugh

Ok, you too...specifically, section e...

(430 ILCS 66/40)
    Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.
    (a) For the purposes of this Section, "non-resident" means a person who has not resided within this State for more than 30 days and resides in another state or territory.
    (b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident license applications from any state or territory of the United States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act.
    (c) A resident of a state or territory approved by the Department under subsection (b) of this Section may apply for a non-resident license. The applicant shall apply to the Department and must meet all of the qualifications established in Section 25 of this Act, except for the Illinois residency requirement in item (xiv) of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Section 4 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The applicant shall submit:
    (1) the application and documentation required under

Section 30 of this Act and the applicable fee;
    (2) a notarized document stating that the applicant:
    (A) is eligible under federal law and the laws of

his or her state or territory of residence to own or possess a firearm;
    (B) if applicable, has a license or permit to

carry a firearm or concealed firearm issued by his or her state or territory of residence and attach a copy of the license or permit to the application;
    (C) understands Illinois laws pertaining to the

possession and transport of firearms; and
    (D) acknowledges that the applicant is subject to

the jurisdiction of the Department and Illinois courts for any violation of this Act;
    (3) a photocopy of any certificates or other evidence

of compliance with the training requirements under Section 75 of this Act; and
    (4) a head and shoulder color photograph in a size

specified by the Department taken within the 30 days preceding the date of the application.
    (d) In lieu of an Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card, a non-resident applicant shall provide similar documentation from his or her state or territory of residence. In lieu of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the applicant shall submit documentation and information required by the Department to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, including an affidavit that the non-resident meets the mental health standards to obtain a firearm under Illinois law, and the Department shall ensure that the applicant would meet the eligibility criteria to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification card if he or she was a resident of this State.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Last edited by 62-10; 07-20-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Spaugh View Post
    CHECK AGAIN.

From: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/il-gun-laws/

Open carry of a handgun on your person or in a vehicle is illegal.Illinois law requires residents to have a Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) to possess a firearm or ammunition. An Illinois Concealed Carry License (CCL) is required to conceal carry a firearm in Illinois. The license permits the licensee to carry a concealed loaded or unloaded handgun on his or her person or within a vehicle. FOID card holders (without a CCL) can legally carry unloaded firearms that are enclosed in a case. Non-resident licenses are only available for residents of Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and Virginia. A 16-hour firearms training course conducted by a state-approved instructor is required for all new concealed carry license applications.

In terms of reciprocity, Illinois does not honor CCW licenses from any other state.
    That site is not the last word on anything. Check the actual statute that I posted above and tell me what I have missed or overlooked.

Even Giffords Law Center has the correct legal reference!
    Last edited by 62-10; 07-20-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Yes...this is for a non-resident to apply for an Illinois non-resident CCW license. That is different than reciprocity. Reciprocity is someone using their home state CCW license to carry in another state. If what you posted pertains to reciprocity, you would not have to apply for anything. It would be similar to your drivers license reciprocity.

I live in Illinois. I review the laws. I have taught concealed carry classes.

Maybe I'm wrong. It happens. Either way, I'm done here.

Steven Spaugh

Yes...this is for a non-resident to apply for an Illinois non-resident CCW license. That is different than reciprocity. Reciprocity is someone using their home state CCW license to carry in another state. If what you posted pertains to reciprocity, you would not have to apply for anything. It would be similar to your drivers license reciprocity.

I live in Illinois. I review the laws. I have taught concealed carry classes.

Maybe I'm wrong. It happens. Either way, I'm done here.
    I presume the curriculum that you teach does not cover Section 40(e). No shame in learing something new. If I was wrong I would expect someone here to call me out and show me the applicable statute or case law. Think of it as a situational or limited exception to the general rule, if that helps.
    Last edited by 62-10; 07-20-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Read what you posted. I'm out of urine.

Steven Spaugh

MO has some of the best gun laws around! You will likely drive on either MO36 or I 70. 36 avoids St Louis. If you take 70 you will pass several cool gun stores in the stl area. And with a little luck of it’s not a work day the locals mights have another riot.

Read what you posted. I'm out of urine.
    I read it again. Even placed the relevant subsection in red-bold font.

For the OP, to my knowledge the referenced exception applies only to pistols, not to non-NFA other.

I drove across Illinois yesterday on I-70. Longest 160 miles of my life. Tac 14 and RMR glock in bags, unloaded, in the back of the truck and the speedometer pegged at the speed limit with cruise control. Gassed up before I hit St. Louis as the highway tool me through Fergouson and I didn't want to stop in Illinois.

Worked for me so it should work for the OP.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015