Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 71
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Or maybe he is a weird motherf*cker who doesn't know how to interact with real people in the real f*cking world. Read the book plenty and it doesn't say to be a weird creeper with a smile running around public places interrupting people's day.
    I have no doubt many of the Apostles were thought of in the same way, so much so they were tortured and killed

    John the Baptist really bothered people didn't he, as did Peter and Stephen and Paul and the list goes on and on

    Not to run around in public means staying cloistered in the church building and waiting for people to come to the church which would be a direct violation of what Christ commands his followers to do,

    23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled." Luke 14:23 KJV

    I don't know the person who confronted you but if all he did was smile and ask you about your relationship with Jesus and then walk away that hardly seems worth getting upset over, creepy or not, just my thought this Sunday morning

    From a brother in Christ God bless you and yours



  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    44,997
    Oh here we go.

    Ricco, if you walk up to me at Whole Foods with a big freaking Joel Olsteen smile like you are my best buddy and close the gap uninvited, I won't give three shits if you carry blessing or curse as I introduce you to the fine points of a Mae Geri.

    You wanna go out and tell the MODERN world Jesus loves them? Great. Do it in a way that doesn't make you - and by extension all Christians - look like a nutcase.

    To borrow and modify from the great movie Quigley Down Under, "This ain't the first century and you ain't an apostle".

    Quote Originally Posted by ricco View Post
    I have no doubt many of the Apostles were thought of in the same way, so much so they were tortured and killed

    John the Baptist really bothered people didn't he, as did Peter and Stephen and Paul and the list goes on and on

    Not to run around in public means staying cloistered in the church building and waiting for people to come to the church which would be a direct violation of what Christ commands his followers to do,

    23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled." Luke 14:23 KJV

    I don't know the person who confronted you but if all he did was smile and ask you about your relationship with Jesus and then walk away that hardly seems worth getting upset over, creepy or not, just my thought this Sunday morning

    From a brother in Christ God bless you and yours


    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    15,073
    I did not read the whole thread, but I do know some of the small churches or should I almost sects send their members out in public to peach. Normally it is standing on a busy street corner with shirt and tie, maybe a jacket, in the full florida sun waving a holy book and quoting biblical passages and such at the top of their lungs. My guess is that the hand shake thing approach is following what he was told to do. Stupid and potentially confrontational. Normally if on private property results in the business asking them to leave.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    15,073
    Typical in Downtown Pensacola, fl. This was filmed by friends of the guy yelling on the street corner.

    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    44,997
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Typical in Downtown Pensacola, fl. This was filmed by friends of the guy yelling on the street corner.

    Yeah...if I was not a Christian, being confronted by this asshat would insure that I never was afterwards.
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    15,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Yeah...if I was not a Christian, being confronted by this asshat would insure that I never was afterwards.
    There is a method in this madness and it is not spreading the Christian message to the masses. It is a way of indoctrinating their own to be mindless followers. It is how they prove themselves to the rest of the congregation. If the church member says this is stupid they get rid of him/her right away since if they can think the head preacher does not want them around for sure. They create their own little worlds of power and control.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    My personal experience has been that it -being a "weird Christian" depends upon the church they go to and it's particular teachings (pastor's philosophy) included) or branch of Christianity to which they belong. An example is the people from Westboro Baptist Church. How far can they be from understanding true Christian belief?
    Agreed. Some of these places are pretty far off the reservation.

    I recall moving to southern Maryland (for work), with no Catholic Churches to be found in our area. We decided to try out a church from a “different” SECT of Christianity. However, pulling into the parking lot and seeing nothing but Obama bumper stickers told me all I needed to know. We did a quick 180 out of there.
    "We must all suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret and disappointment." -Jim Rohn

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    There is a method in this madness and it is not spreading the Christian message to the masses. It is a way of indoctrinating their own to be mindless followers. It is how they prove themselves to the rest of the congregation. If the church member says this is stupid they get rid of him/her right away since if they can think the head preacher does not want them around for sure. They create their own little worlds of power and control.
    Exactly right. SJW's aren't the only ones into virtue signalling. Far too often organized evangelism efforts in churches are a way to measure member committment to the leadership, usually in the face of very little actual success.

    One of the most effective ways to evangelise is to allow people to tell you all about their beliefs. Listen to them without thinking of any counter points, the objective is to get to know them. Eventually, very consistenly in my experience, they'll say, "So what about you? What do you think about all this stuff?" I was working with a Hindu guy once and let him tell me all about it. When he asked me I was able to share the gospel very naturally and he was interested. At one point he had said, "I believe God is a force, like electricty and that we can never know him." I said, "I believe God is so intensely personal that it will take us eternity to begin to know him." By the look on his face it was a lightbulb moment.

    Evangelism isn't a sales pitch, program, or an outline that we have to get all the way through.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    267
    This happened to me last year at a truck stop while I was trying to corral my youngest son after a piss break. Walked up to me between cars blocking my path. My reaction caused a bystander to call 911. Turns out the guy has a child support warrant and we go on about our business. Invading the personal space of me who will defend their personal space is a first class ticket to a hospital ward......

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,180
    I spent two years as a proselyting missionary. My purpose was of course to talk to people, and I saw guys that would do this sort of thing or randomly start giving a spheel about religion. All you get is weird looks (or if you're talking to a crazy homeless guy they would usually engage lol).

    I found it far better to talk about other stuff with people, or find opportunities to serve or help people, and if religion came up, all the better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •