Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have friends who CrossFit competitively and hit body parts the next day. It shouldn’t make sense, and I don’t do it, but they’re all strong and jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    I have friends who CrossFit competitively and hit body parts the next day. It shouldn’t make sense, and I don’t do it, but they’re all strong and jacked.
    Yeah, most casual-but-committed Crossfitters are training 5-6 days a week, and the elite ones are training twice a day 5-6 days a week.

Depends on your programming, nutrition, supplementation, sleep, and recovery ability, but the human body can adapt to a pretty wide range of training modalities and frequencies.

Hence why people need to find what works for them via experimentation and good coaching.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Mr. Anthony nailed it, we all need to figure out what works for us. Im 51 and don't squat and DL the same week, but alternate them. I just can't recover enough to train them heavy in the same week. I'm over 2x my BW in both and I need more time for recovery. Normally, I lift M,T,Th, F and do a couple mile ruck on Wednesday. If Im tired Wednesday I do the ruck on Saturday. I take a week off Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break and usually once during the summer.

Once you have a developed ability in lifting, it is good to do your own programming and listening to your body for recovery needs, goal achievement, etc. But for the dude who just lost 50 pounds on keto and now wants to build some muscle, its not a bad way to go
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Im 59 years young, Been doing a 5x5 workout ( Squat, Bench, DL, Military press, hammer curl ) three times a week for three months now and making really good gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    If you are not very strong this might work because you don't use enough weight to tear down the muscle. Otherwise hitting the same body part three times per week is going to cause you to overtrain. This program gives your muscle and connective tissues one days rest before working out again. If you are using any real weight, absent juicing, you are not going to recover in one day.
    Agreed, you o overtrain much faster the stronger you get. People that bench bodyweight will not burn out near as fast was those that go closer to 2X. Been there, done that, more than once...

Can't agree more. As someone who's been doing a variety of training, aerobic (raced road and mountain bikes for years) to currently lifting heavy shit, for four decades, I've found the one constant that gauges my level of recovery accurately and therefore, what I need to do today, is waking pulse. Currently lifting 2 or 3 days a week based on that.

This is consistent with Rip's views that as one ages, the capacity for which goes is volume.

I'm Gabe's age, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    ...the one constant that gauges my level of recovery accurately and therefore, what I need to do today, is waking pulse. Currently lifting 2 or 3 days a week based on that.
    Not heard this "benchmark," if you will, before--what's waking pulse tell you, other than how hard your heart is working when you wake up? Or is that the point, to find out how hard your body is working and extrapolate from that that you need to allow a little more recovery time?

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Not heard this "benchmark," if you will, before--what's waking pulse tell you, other than how hard your heart is working when you wake up? Or is that the point, to find out how hard your body is working and extrapolate from that that you need to allow a little more recovery time?
    Science-wise, it's a pretty good indicator of recovery. There are lots of apps and stuff that will track this for you and make recommendations on activity/workout intensity for the day, based on it (and stuff like oxygen saturation, if you want to go that far).

That said, I never track my heart rate, in any capacity.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Science-wise, it's a pretty good indicator of recovery. There are lots of apps and stuff that will track this for you and make recommendations on activity/workout intensity for the day, based on it (and stuff like oxygen saturation, if you want to go that far).

That said, I never track my heart rate, in any capacity.
    Gotcha; sounds kinda interesting. I track my heart rate sporadically but have noticed it seems like it varies throughout the day for no apparent reason. Sometimes it'll be at 60 bpm, after I've been walking; and then I'm sitting still, and it bounces up to 73 bpm. Well, whatevs.

In short, sounds like my current approach is working just fine: 3 days a week, about 35-45 minutes per session, try to work the whole body and push myself while still listening to pain points.