Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The last time I was pulled over was almost 35 years ago. Just try to drive within the law and behave myself. I know if a cop wants to, he can "find" a reason to pull you over if he really wants to. But I find that if you don't go out of your way to give them a reason, most won't.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I agree. Never NEVER give up your right. When the officer says "can I search your car", picture that he said can I touch your daughters vagina. The answer is NO!. If he insists then call 911. Tell the dispatcher that you need a supervisor immediately and request the State Police on the scene. Tell the dispatcher that the officer asked to search your car and when you said NO, he began searching anyway. Video his actions and you repeatedly saying STOP the search.....but as Gabe pointed out, something like this is unlikely if you don't look like a thug, don't drive a car that looks like you just stole it from the salvage yard and don't drive in "drug free zones"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Me? Never. I have never had anyone ask to search the car. And it's funny how if you treat them with the same respect that you treat preachers and little old ladies with you tend to get let off with a warning more times than not. At least around here.

I have been asked to get out of the car and frisked (and he actually missed the knife in the front waistband of my swim trunks...). When he walked up he asked if I had a gun in the car. When I said yes he ordered me out of the vehicle and had me put my hands on the vehicle, frisked me and then he tried to guess what the caliber of the gun was.... "Is it a .45 ?" ..."no"..."Is it a .40"..."no"...."Is it a 9mm ?"....."no"..... "Well...well..What is it?" ...."It's a 357sig...Sir you might want to talk to my passenger......he's a cop from Chattanooga"...." him in a flustered manner..."OK you wait here"...... While he was doing this I was thinking...."aw crap I'll bet someone got shot with a .45 and the shooter was in a grey SUV and we match the description....this is gonna be like "My Cousin Vinny".....

It was actually a "fishing expedition" by a cop in Dothan Alabama back in 1999. We were coming back from Ft Walton on a Sunday night. I told him he might want to talk to my passenger who happens to be a police officer from Chattanooga. They chatted for a minute and we were on our way to Arbys up the road with no ticket, and no explanation for the stop. He was probably trying to catch someone doing something -anything- he could write a ticket for because the same guy had pulled over 2 other SUVs heading north before we got out of Arbys and out of town.

And if he'd asked to search the vehicle the answer would have been "No". Nothing will ever be gained by consenting to having your vehicle searched.
    Ironically I was born and raised in Dothan, but havenít lived there in 20 years.

I had my car searched once. Nobody even asked for permission. And I didn't know the law at the time, so I just let it slide.

Came home on leave right after Airborne School. Friend left his car at the PDX airport for me (hide-a-key). I picked it up, in my dress greens, and headed to my house.
    On the way, in Gladstone, OR, I got felony stopped. And then got proned out in the ditch at gunpoint while about 8 officers completely trashed the car. They even pulled up some of the carpet. No K9.

Eventually (nearly an hour later) they let me go, saying "you matched a robbery suspect". Uh, a guy in a Class A uniform, who has a plane ticket stub that says he got off the plane 30 minutes ago? I didn't buy it, but since they were letting me go I was smart enough to keep my trap shut, throw everything on the curb back in the trunk, and just get out of there.

I found out a couple years later my friend had been using that car to transport merchandise for his freelance recreational pharmaceutical business. Car had some unique mods, so it was easily identifiable. Police were just fishing. Luckily it was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    I found out a couple years later my friend had been using that car to transport merchandise for his freelance recreational pharmaceutical business. Car had some unique mods, so it was easily identifiable. Police were just fishing. Luckily it was clean.
    You still friends? He had some 'splainin' to do.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 4, 16. And a wakeup.

What a loser of a cop. While I do not wish any particular abuse on him while he is in prison, I do hope the case against him is unsinkable, as, if true, that story indicates he deserves to go to prison. Reminds me of the provision in the Mosaic Law: someone who lied during trial to get someone convicted of a crime was then subject to the same consequences as the one he tried to get convicted.

Back to the story, though: I'm not a Sovereign Citizen type and I have great respect for the jobs of law enforcement officers, but no, no you do not get to just search my vehicle, no consent to that, although I will not start fighting you if you order me out of my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    I had my car searched once. Nobody even asked for permission. And I didn't know the law at the time, so I just let it slide.

Came home on leave right after Airborne School. Friend left his car at the PDX airport for me (hide-a-key). I picked it up, in my dress greens, and headed to my house.
    On the way, in Gladstone, OR, I got felony stopped. And then got proned out in the ditch at gunpoint while about 8 officers completely trashed the car. They even pulled up some of the carpet. No K9.

Eventually (nearly an hour later) they let me go, saying "you matched a robbery suspect". Uh, a guy in a Class A uniform, who has a plane ticket stub that says he got off the plane 30 minutes ago? I didn't buy it, but since they were letting me go I was smart enough to keep my trap shut, throw everything on the curb back in the trunk, and just get out of there.

Which makes it likely that the car was under surveillance from the time it was stashed with the hide a key. Pretty common transport method, though the poor mope behind the wheel generally knows that he is hauling something .
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time