Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've learned a great deal about holsters and carrying in general since I bought my current rig, lol.

New question: What's the opinion re: using one loop vs. two loops for a fighting pistol? I've been ranging the internet and noticed that without the Flex package, the Phlster Classic has only one loop, whereas others use the usual two. I'm experimenting using my current holster with only one hook engaged to see if it's unstable enough to warrant getting a holster with the additional loop, but for the money, the Phlster Classic gives the best bag of tricks, and I can always add in the Flex panel and accessories later.

Having and compared both the Phlster Classic and the Tenicor VELO, I recommend the VELO. Others here I have shown both and they agreed. Neither is a bad holster. I've had the last four Archangel iterations for comparison. All good holsters, all I've modified with wedges and wings to work perfect for me, even the Classic. The VELO is the only one out of the box to work perfect for me with no modifications. I also carry a comped 19 and a 34, 100% SI.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Default Holster Comparison/Advice

I also have a Velo and I would say exactly whatís said above. On mine, the fit is a tad weird. Itís a ďsoftĒ but solid retention if cranked down.

The wedge is just as good though angled differently. It the holster I wear the least.

Additional opinion on the flex package is that I didnít consider it was a sort of grippy material but, more so, depending where your belt loops are, itís easier to adjust compared to a static combo. I personally havenít found a sweet spot for a mag carrier...soft or otherwise, so Iím a tad discouraged and sort of feel that a separate mag carrier is more beneficial for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Christopher Calhoun; 07-10-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    you lock-tited holster screws?
    I locktite pretty much anything with threads regarding my kit. I mean not stuff like thread protectors. But anything with threads that I donít want coming undone gets blue locktite.

Its not the amount of locktite you used itís the type. Red locktite requires heat to be removed. A hair dryer could work but I would just go out and buy a heat gun. You should be able to easily unscrew those screws once warmed up with the heat gun. Be careful you donít hold the gun in the same spot too long or you will warp the kydex. Then only use blue locktite on your threads from now on.

Try a soldering iron. Hold it on for a while,
    and try remove the screw. Repeat as needed.

I run my Archangel with only one loop.
    It finds it own sweet spot for when I'm
    standing, sitting, or driving, etc.

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

A heat gun will not be effective without also destroying the Kydex holster.
    I would use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to remove the screw head with any accidental damage being done to the clips instead of the holster.

I've no experience w/ the Phlster, but since discovering WT and AIWB in 2011, I've gone thru many holsters for my G19's and the only two that remain are my original Dale Fricke Archangel and Dale Fricke Seraphim. Nothing else I've ever tried has been "better" or more comfortable for me. (6'1", 190, 32-33" waist) Two things I've found help tremendously: 1- I order my holsters in G17-length and with 1.75" loops. The extra length on the holster provides more stability and less "tip"; the 1.75" loops on a 1.5" belt provide just a little movement that makes finding the "sweet spot" possible in multiple standing/sitting/driving situations, without compromising the draw.

FWIW, I use that same G17 Seraphim for my new SI comp'd G26 Guttersnipe. My 2Ę
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Thanks for all the suggestions, gents. After examining my holster a little more closely last night, I don't think I'll be able to get the screws off all that easily without damaging the holster body, so it'll become my 2nd string/beat-around holster.

I was all ready to buy a Tenicor Velo, when I found that they don't make it for the VP9. I may just get another of the holster I have already but with loops and a wedge added. Still circling the Archangel with wedge added or the Phlster, though.

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    I've no experience w/ the Phlster, but since discovering WT and AIWB in 2011, I've gone thru many holsters for my G19's and the only two that remain are my original Dale Fricke Archangel and Dale Fricke Seraphim. Nothing else I've ever tried has been "better" or more comfortable for me. (6'1", 190, 32-33" waist) Two things I've found help tremendously: 1- I order my holsters in G17-length and with 1.75" loops. The extra length on the holster provides more stability and less "tip"; the 1.75" loops on a 1.5" belt provide just a little movement that makes finding the "sweet spot" possible in multiple standing/sitting/driving situations, without compromising the draw.

FWIW, I use that same G17 Seraphim for my new SI comp'd G26 Guttersnipe. My 2Ę
    This^

I have a lot of different holsters that I've acquired over time. A few of them are specialty holsters that are only used for particular activities (such as shoulder rigs for hiking or on the motorcycle). But what I use every day is an iteration of the archangel/seraphim, or the Zack/NPE.

My favorite holster by far was the Archangel version 4. By far the most comfortable and it is my go to. Sadly this one isn't in production now...Kydex makers come and go.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington