Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Holster Comparison/Advice

I know numerous threads address the issue of holster selection, but I have a rather specific question to ask: Archangel vs. Phlster Classic (w/ Flex package). Does anyone have experience using the Phlster Classic? I know a number of folks use the Archangel, and any head-to-head comparison comments would be appreciated, if anyone can give such.

A little information on why I am asking, plus some specific features I think I need: Currently I use KSG Armory's Sidekick, which is a great holster. My problem is, the plastic clips are wearing out, both in clamping tension and with regard to the little nubs that "grab" one's belt. (I have lots of practice getting it on and off, due to taking the holster off for NPEs regularly.) I would just replace the clips, but I made a stupid mistake and put WAY too much red Loctite on the screws, to the point that I have, after great travail, managed to get two of the screws out for one clip, but one remains, and the other clip's screws remain steadfastly adhered to their grommets, and I can't get sufficient grip to break them loose. Additionally, I plan to go with loops instead of clips, especially after I caught a clip on a volleyball net after a particularly aggressive leap and yanked the whole holster out of my waistband. However I end up securing the holster to my belt, I do want to keep the shirt-tuck option.

It has a wing/claw attachment, which helps me reduce printing. I am toying with adding a wedge to press the grip back into my body more firmly. My dad fashioned one himself, and it helped concealment and comfort, though I have not done so myself. I know the Archangel can be purchased with a wedge, and the Phlster Classic has one molded in--any thoughts on which method is more comfortable and effective?

Final consideration: To reduce the risk of bump frisking and to put everything into one unit, I am considering purchasing the Flex package, if I go with the Phlster, so that I can put a spare mag, my GnS, and possibly a TQ all up front. I would probably not abandon my support side double mag pouch (OWB) altogether but reduce its use, especially when I would be near a large number of people.

Any advice, other options to consider, and carry considerations I have not included would be appreciated.

Something I forgot to add in the first post: I am what most would consider a big guy, mostly because I'm 6'2" tall and carry myself fairly uprightly. However, my waist is both narrow and not particularly deep, at 30" circumference and maybe 3" from front to back of the external oblique. Thus, concealment is challenging, and finding pants with a mid-rise in my size (30x34, though anymore I buy 31x34, in hopes it will help me carry more easily--honestly, jury is still out). I carry a HK VP9 (kinda wishing, two years later, that I had never done the pistol-swapping I have and kept my Gen 3 G19--then I would have the money to do some good SI stuff to it, but oh well), so I have to manage my concealment pretty carefully, with that long-ish grip.

Look on Amazon. The clips are available for purchase separately if you like you existing holster.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I have a Phlster Classic with the tuck strut. Also have a flex but I havenít decided if I like it. I almost exclusively use the Classic with rare exception. Itís comfy, the wedge is rounded off to not hurt and size-able enough to make a difference and the tuck strut, Iíve purchased to use on a GunCraft holster I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Look on Amazon. The clips are available for purchase separately if you like you existing holster.
    Yeah, I've checked into that (including getting a holster w/ loops from the same maker of my current one, but the setup wouldn't allow me to install tuckable struts), but the trouble is that I cannot for the life of me get the current clips off, due to my folly in using what I found out was an extraordinary amount of Loctite. The rivets for the right-side clip have flathead screwdriver slots in them, but only the two that sandwich the two pieces of Kydex together and provide retention. The other rivets attached only to the outer piece don't have slots, and I'd have to crush the outer piece to get enough grip to break the Loctite free.

I screwed myself on what is otherwise a great holster, unfortunately.

ETA: My current holster has two retention screws, and while rounded off a bit at the bottom so the corner isn't sharp, the holster is a uniform width all the way across, whereas say the Archangel sweeps in a bit, narrower at the muzzle than at the trigger guard--anyone think this makes a difference? I have a fuzzy notion it might make the inside of my hip a bit more comfortable, since the muzzle clears my leg currently but the corner of the holster does not; but, I'm not sure if it would make a difference.
    Last edited by Faramir2; 07-10-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Additional thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Calhoun View Post
    I have a Phlster Classic with the tuck strut. Also have a flex but I haven’t decided if I like it. I almost exclusively use the Classic with rare exception. It’s comfy, the wedge is rounded off to not hurt and size-able enough to make a difference and the tuck strut, I’ve purchased to use on a GunCraft holster I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to know; thanks.

drill out the stuck screw
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

you lock-tited holster screws?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    drill out the stuck screw
    That could work. I'll have to take a closer look at the setup to see how easily I could accomplish that, especially since I'm not great with tools to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    you lock-tited holster screws?
    Yeah, they kept backing out, so I squirted some Loctite on them (holster maker sent some with the kit). I see now that I probably didn't need Loctite for the clip screws, much less red.