Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ice Bath Recovery

I was listening to a few discussions from strong man competitors and Xfit gamers and most of them are using Ice baths to mitigate inflammation and speed up recovery. The one thing that was said is that you shouldn't do it right after training but at the end of the day before bed.

Interesting article: https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...bath-benefits/

“It felt good and I’d sleep like a baby that night,” he says. “But if you do it every time after you work out, you won’t maximize the benefits of your workout.”
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 07-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Almost lost my java when I read this:

Hypothermia is also a potential risk if you sit for too long.

Still, the old Scandihoovians were on to something.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 13. And a wakeup.

Back when I was a regular in a CrossFit gym, I did an incredibly stupid workout one day that left me quite literally unable to walk due to muscle pain that evening. I don't actually recall the workout, but it probably involved heavy squats, followed by 150 wall-ball shots or something like that. The thought that I had actually managed to give myself rhabdo actually was high in my mind.

While drinking as much water as humanly possible, I filled my bathtub with cld water, and then emptied all of the ice in my freezer into it as well. Then I sat down in the ice bath.

It SUCKED. I don't know how long I managed to stay in the ice water, but it was not very long. I cycled between sitting in the ice for as long as I could tolerate it and getting out for about 15 minutes. And you know what? It worked! My muscle pain was significantly decreased, to the point that I could walk around the house and go to sleep without the need for painkillers.

YMMV, of course!

For minor muscle cramps at night I have found pickles and also the pickle juice to be help a lot. I could not find a good explanation as to why but it helps and that is what is most important.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    For minor muscle cramps at night I have found pickles and also the pickle juice to be help a lot. I could not find a good explanation as to why but it helps and that is what is most important.
    That's likely the potassium and salts in the pickles. If you're getting night cramps you are likely electrolyte deficient.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    That's likely the potassium and salts in the pickles. If you're getting night cramps you are likely electrolyte deficient.
    Cramps in this case were from strained muscles and also some nerve damage. One does make a brine to pickle with that I assume is higher in Sodium than potassium.
    So I just do not know.

Dill pickle formula.
    100 g Water
    100 g
    Champagne vinegar
    25 g
    Sugar
    7.5 g
    Dill
    5 g
    Salt, kosher

120 g
    Cucumber
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Ice baths work amazingly well for recovery--I'm just really bad about not doing them. Buying and hauling in 60 lbs of ice is a hassle.

You can get a similar but smaller effect doing cold showers and making sure keep your head/chest in the stream of water.

I'm a lot more consistent with sitting in a freezing-cold mountain stream or partially-frozen lake after a hike than I am with ice baths on workout days...
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I've done the same thing, drink 1/4 cup of pickle juice, I got the information from a long distance bicycle rider, he said it was common with many riders.

Does a pickle backed Jamison shot count?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Does a pickle backed Jamison shot count?
    only if you make it a double
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time