Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pistol Lube for Alaskan Winters

My son is stationed in Alaska, and will soon have two pistols for concealed carry and HD. I know some of the old standard lubes can freeze up and cause malfunctions so I'm guessing that opposed to running them dry some of the newer lubes would be superior to what I am used to in Texas. Any suggestions?

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Get them coated in NP3+, break them in with lube afterwards as per instructions, then run them dry.

If you don't want the expense of the best option above, I'd say just use a thin film of Mobil 1 0W-30.

"Night vision devices let you own the night. Flashlights just let you borrow some of it for a little while." -- Chris Upchurch

"A Glock will make someone just as dead as a 1911 but the 1911 will do it with style." -- Yooper75
    "Night vision devices let you own the night. Flashlights just let you borrow some of it for a little while." -- Chris Upchurch

"A Glock will make someone just as dead as a 1911 but the 1911 will do it with style." -- Yooper75

I use a mixture of Tetra Gun Grease and Slip2000 grease, which I work in to the metal. I coat all bearing surfaces, and work it in by cycling the action a few dozen times. I then wipe off the vast majority of the grease leaving a very thin layer. Following with oil, such as Slip2000 or such on top of the very thin grease layer will make the action impressively smooth.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

IMHO...NP3 has no peer. For icy and/or sandy environments where the mission does not require a black weapon...NP3 beats out everything else.

Where to get it? I know a guy....
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

In regards to the lube its just a matter of looking at the back of the label and seeing what the operating range of the lube is. No real magic to it.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LordPhoenix View Post
    Get them coated in NP3+, break them in with lube afterwards as per instructions, then run them dry.

If you don't want the expense of the best option above, I'd say just use a thin film of Mobil 1 0W-30.

Where are there break in instructions for np3 parts?
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Send them to Gabe for NP3. One thing to consider is that a gun close to the body and in the home is not exposed to the weather. I'm from Minnesota so I know just a little about carrying in cold weather.....

Eezox

If money were no object, I'd NP3 every gun I have.

I use white lithium grease from the auto store. My understanding is that it's good to go down to 0 degrees F, which is far colder than I will ever experience in my area. And has been pointed out, the gun on my body is going to be relatively warm even if I'm traveling through cold areas.

I have not used it, but supposedly this stuff is good to 40 below:
    Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

NP3 on personal weapons.... TW25B on everything else including one's that have been NP3 coated
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu