Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's been decades since I did a traffic stop.

I think the first LEO did a fantastic job. He had his right hand on his weapon and kept it there right through until he drew when backup arrived. That tells me he was thinking tactically and pro-actively. His communication from the moment he made the stop was fantastic. Communication in a tactical situation is key. it is a tool that you to use more. It allows you and your guys to work as a team more effectively. Why do you think .mil now uses personal tactical Comms?

He and his back-up did everything right. There going home with no holes and a great story, and the other guys are going to the hospital and jail. That's a happy ending in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    It appeared the officer was looking for that vehicle as he was parked slightly back from the stop sign and there was no obvious traffic violation. He moved out as soon as he saw the white SUV. That and the repeated radio traffic on backup location tells me this was no ordinary traffic stop. As soon as backup arrives he drew his weapon. As the back seat guy reaches, the backup moved forward so that the officers were in an "L" shaped shooting formation. As for getting off the X, if backup breaks left he runs into the house pretty quickly. Backseat perp never really had a chance.
    They constantly triangulated the threat. That's straight up primary tactics.

Hmm... Well I don't know anything about the cop part for radios and stuff but the the only thing that could have been slightly better would have been to put even a little angular movement. It sounded like he did a good job of using a wall of lead for cover though. No hesitation, or trying to bargain. Just attacked when the threat was clear. Well done.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    It appeared the officer was looking for that vehicle as he was parked slightly back from the stop sign and there was no obvious traffic violation. He moved out as soon as he saw the white SUV. That and the repeated radio traffic on backup location tells me this was no ordinary traffic stop. As soon as backup arrives he drew his weapon. As the back seat guy reaches, the backup moved forward so that the officers were in an "L" shaped shooting formation. As for getting off the X, if backup breaks left he runs into the house pretty quickly. Backseat perp never really had a chance.
    Yeah, Im not seeing that, at least not from my years on the job. IF he and others had been looking for THAT vehicle, the radio chatter would have been ten times greater with guys saying they were "enroute" and bosses saying "ahhhh where is he...". The Primary officer might have been looking for it; but nobody knew it.

When Im out on the hunt proactively for bad guys Im not looking for the car but a car. Lots of reasons the behavior of a vehicle and occupants draws my attention.... so I dont feel this was a specific vehicle of interest.

Also, I agree with a previous post about talking on the radio too soon.

Make the scene safe first, then get to talking.

Also in this scenario a supervisor and additional unit was already enroute.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierofTheLaw View Post
    When I’m out on the hunt proactively for bad guys I’m not looking for “the” car but “a” car. Lots of reasons the behavior of a vehicle and occupants draws my attention.... so I don’t feel this was a specific vehicle of interest.

Also, I agree with a previous post about talking on the radio too soon.

Make the scene safe first, then get to talking.

Also in this scenario a supervisor and additional unit was already enroute.
    Im not sure I heard any other units responding until the primary requested additional, and I do seem to recall the supervisor saying he would be there but with a delayed ETA (several minutes). Now that being said a good squad would have automatically started heading to him without wasting "air time" to tell dispatch (that's why the dispatchers have immediate access to the cars GPS). Squads that "work well together" can generally be seen travelling in packs, even if they don't always make it to the scene.

He told despatch, "We' going to need extra units", as soon as he saw there was a perp in the backseat as well as the driver. I'll say it again, he was very proactive and got the job done.

Good call PD, I missed that.

I can't give too many negative comments, given the outcome. The driver was left uncovered a bit, but appeared scared as shit. The assisting officer may have been able to move off line a bit more - pretty much appeared to go straight back. That's said, they landed steel on target and resolved the issue. I think the biggest gap was trying to balance the need to address the shooter (initial officer) with the uncovered driver-suspect on the ground. Hard call. Proactive anchor shot? Probably not doable in the LEO roll.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    I can't give too many negative comments, given the outcome.
    I gotta caution you against that approach in general. Being alive because you suck less than he did isn't the way to go. Worse, lucky outcomes reinforce bad tactics and the house of cards tumbles sooner or later. Instead debrief your stuff as compared to best practices, even if it had a happy ending.
    Last edited by Sam Spade; 07-08-2019 at 07:33 PM.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle