Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TRAP BAR FOR BENT OVER ROWING

Getting through a rushed back workout today. Plan was for bent over rows after warm ups. Weight was already on the trap bar from prior workout's loaded carries. Decided what-the-hell. Did my bent over rows with the trap bar. Interesting new angle and grip position. No lower back pressure felt...more supported by the legs, and the parallel (natural) grip position allowed more tension applied to the lats.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I've thought about these, but never tried them. I don't do that many bent-over rows, really. Although I did some ones with a barbell this morning.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

You have in your hands one of the best pieces of strength equipment.

I have one of the original Gerard Trap Bars, made back in the early 90s when they were made one at a time by Tim Banse. As I recall, he had the exclusive rights to build them. This bar is flat in that you do not have higher or lower handles, the handles are on the centerline of the plates.

I gave up squatting many years ago, given that I am not a power lifter and the trap bar is a safer alternative and for me, gives me all of the benefits of the dead lift and the squat in one piece of equipment. I know there will be many who will disagree with me and if that works for you then so be it. Make the choice that works for you.

The trap bar shines on two fronts: less stress on the lower back and easy to lift heavier weights with perfect form. Just this morning, I did my leg day workout which is bodyweight squats, then slow goblet squats with a kettle bell and then the trap bar dead lift with a 5-4-3-2-1 protocol with one minute rest between sets. Then, I finish the leg workout with the front squat with the same protocol as the trap our dead lift.

The other place where the trap bar excels is in the farmers walk. I finish every workout by loading the trap bar with 200 pounds, lift it with perfect form, and then carry it to the edge of my yard which is 75 yards, stop, take a few breaths then pick it up and carry it back to my garage. Workout done. I have yet to find any exercise that works my forearms and grip as well as the farmers walk.

I weigh in at roughly 175 to 185. I began farmer walks a few years ago and when I got to 110# in each hand, knew I needed something better. I added a trap bar and do 50 yard walks (25 yards each way) with 200# regularly. I stumbled onto its use for bent rowing but really like it. Honestly, unless you are a competitive powerlifter, you need not be tied to squat, dead and bench. I do not bench any more, although I do squat and dead. My squats are on a landmine system I have which give better quad feel for my leverages, and I sumo deadlift which does not upset my lower back at all.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Honestly, unless you are a competitive powerlifter, you need not be tied to squat, dead and bench.
    Exactly...

I never got that much out of the bench. For me, the dip is king. I get the best chest workout with the dip as my base exercise, and then slow suspended pushups with elbows close to the body, or pushups with the feet elevated 18" or so.

Okay, I'll give it a try. Recommended brands?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

355. And a wakeup.

I agree. As I’m on the down slope to 50 i find myself using equipment and doing exercises I never used to use and do. With 2 bulging discs in my middle back and a badly strained rotator cuff, I’ve found I’ve either had to stop working out or find other ways to do things. The trap bar is a very versatile piece of gym equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Okay, I'll give it a try. Recommended brands?
    A quick search online shows a myriad of bars, mine is the original diamond shaped bar but I see only one or two photos of it. I know that just a few years ago, there was a company that was endorsed by Al Gerard that was claiming to build an exact replica, but I have not been able to find their site.

I know that Rogue in Columbus, Ohio makes superb equipment, but their bar is pricey at $295 before shipping.

As to the configuration, most of the bars that I see now have two handles: one handle is raised from the center point of the bar and a second handle which is in line with the bar. Mine is the simple version with one handle, and if I want to lift with more depth, I simply stand on a few 45 pound weight plates. Conversely, if I want to lift with less depth, I set the loaded bar on top of 45 pound weight plates.

Hopefully some others here might offer you some better shopping information.

Ranger1
    I think the company endorsed by Al Gerard was John Wood's "Functional Hand Strength", but I'm not sure if he still has the site up or not. That is where I got mine.

So I bought a HulkFit 1000 pounder (like that's ever gonna happen) and I got it today. Bar is 45# and I'm starting with very light weight (66 on the bar) because of my bum shoulder. The neutral grip is not bad!

Plenty of room for the farmer's walk, unless I'm walking up stairs. 200 yards plus, down to the target line and back. Surprisingly, pulse only up to 100 or so.

The bent over rows--that's for later. I can't get that weight up past 90 degrees due to limited ROM.
    Last edited by Papa; 07-24-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

355. And a wakeup.