The Suarez Method
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    I'm interested and it would probably count as a 922(r) compliant part.

Question: Does the version they do have work on AR's? I have an Amory USA AK with the 1/2" x 28 threads (supposedly same as AR's).
    Last edited by Lumino; 05-26-2006 at 01:23 PM.
    AKs and Glocks, and now Gas Piston ARs - 'Nuff said.

Anybody interested in pooling together to get these made for our AK's????
    Yes, absolutely, although I'd limit my individual contribution for "engineering time" to no more than $25. Did he say how much the standard model for the AR costs? Any discounts for volume, as in "group buy"?

Also, when you say "fit an AK", do you mean the 14x1mm left-hand threads on the AKM, or the newer 24x1.5mm right-hand threads on the front sight block of AK74 and AK100 series rifes? Reason I ask is that my Arsenal SA M-7 uses the 24mm front sight block and that is the version I want.

I'd also like to have a notch cut in the end to fit the spring-loaded detent on the front sight block. (FYI: Smith does not include the notch on their 24x1.5mm AK flash hider.) Here's a pic of an AK74-style brake and front sight block to show you what I'm talking about:

Everything always has to get complicated ...
    Last edited by trackwolf; 05-26-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Does the version they do have work on AR's?
    Yes, see this link:

http://www.bemeyers.com/products.asp...id=6&subcat=27

No price listed, however.

A few years back I bought a couple of AK flashiders that were birdcages (like the AR15/M16) from Sarco. Don't know if they still carry them or not. They worked well to hide the flash, and cut the muzzle climb a bit.
    Several companies have made the AK-74 style hiders for the AKM's and AKS's. Check Shotgun News for sources.

Several companies have made the AK-74 style hiders for the AKM's and AKS's. Check Shotgun News for sources.
    The AK74-style brakes actually increase noise and muzzle flash. They are compensators rather than flash suppressors. (See discussion above.) The issue is finding a Vortex-style flash suppressor that will fit the AK74-style front sight block.

Quote Originally Posted by trackwolf
    The AK74-style brakes actually increase noise and muzzle flash. They are compensators rather than flash suppressors. (See discussion above.) The issue is finding a Vortex-style flash suppressor that will fit the AK74-style front sight block.
    ---------
    Of course. My bad. Typed before thinking.
    I don't know if it's okay with Gabe to post another sites web address here, but there is a company that has the 24x1.5 mm muzzle devices, as well as muzzle and thread adaptors for most everything else AK related. Just yahoo or google up the words, "AK parts Delta Utah Hi-Vel" and it'll come up. Better to call them if you want something unusual, as sometimes they have one-of-a-kind things in stock, and don't post them on the website.
    Last edited by BB82; 05-27-2006 at 06:25 AM.

there is a company that has the 24x1.5 mm muzzle devices, as well as muzzle and thread adaptors for most everything else AK related.
    I'll have to call them on Monday. Their website does not list anything related to the AK besides a US Army operator's manual.

An intermediate alternative, probably better than a slant brake or muzzle nut but not as effective as the Vortex-type products, is this Bulgarian flash hider available from K-Var (note the notch for the spring-loaded detent):

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=289&page=1

Cost is $40. This part comes standard on the SA M-7 series and, I believe, is standard issue on Bulgarian military AKs. It fits the 24x1.5mm front sight block. I believe they used to sell a similar one that fit 14x1mm left-hand threads on AKM barrels, but it is no longer listed on their website. There is an adapter available (but presently out of stock) that allows a 14mm barrel to accept 24mm accessories:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=272&page=1

If we could get examples of all these flash hiders together for a night shoot and take pictures, it would be really helpful. I think you can judge effectiveness of flash hiders only in a side-by-side comparison. I'd like to compare these flash suppressors with the same batch of ammunition:

1. Vortex
    2. B. E. Meyers vortex-style
    3. AK muzzle nut
    4. AK slant brake
    5. AK74-style brake
    6. Arsenal AK-133BU (above)
    7. Bulgarian Krink-type 4-piece flash hider (below)

Sonny P, if you're reading this, do you have any thoughts?

For the sake of completeness, don't forget the Noveske KX3 "fire-breathing pig" flash suppressor here:

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi...at1=19&cat2=23

Fits 14x1mm LH AK threads. Yours for a mere $125.

Finally, here is another Bulgarian Krink-style suppressor from K-var for 24mm threads (out of stock, of course):

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=289&page=1

We should probably include these in the group if we're going to do a really scientific test.

Quote Originally Posted by trackwolf
    I'll have to call them on Monday. Their website does not list anything related to the AK besides a US Army operator's manual.
    --------
    I don't think you found the right site... try typing aa-ok and then type the .com. They have everything for the AK from individual parts up to the entire weapon from inventories around the world listed on their website. They are a little bit pricey, but not horrible. They also sell parts for the HK family as well as Stens and other weapons found in arsenals around the globe.
    On their website, don't go into their 'online store', because they don't have much listed there. Just click on "AK Parts" on their homepage.
    Last edited by BB82; 05-27-2006 at 02:21 PM.