SI 2014 Training
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Several years ago, when at a patrol rifle class taught by Gabe in California, we stood downrange after dark and watched the difference in flash from several muzzle configurations on otherwise similar AR rifles.

The Vortex flash was almost invisible, the A2 birdcage flash was quite small. The bare muzzle flash was like a camera's flashbulb, and the Bushmaster AK style muzzlebrake's flash was like fireworks with sparks shooting out.

It was definitely a "flash enhancer".
    Problem solved, problem staying solved

Quote Originally Posted by karl johnson
    It was definitely a "flash enhancer".
    Interesting. What do you think of this tritium rear sight for the AK?
    "It is up to us. We put our lives, our treasure and our sacred honor upon it. We speak the power of our word, we prepare, we act." - Crafty Dog

Link,

I like the idea of that night sight - got a link for us?

Default AK night sight link

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter
    Link,

I like the idea of that night sight - got a link for us?
    Here you go:

http://www.sksman.com/acces/sights.html
    "It is up to us. We put our lives, our treasure and our sacred honor upon it. We speak the power of our word, we prepare, we act." - Crafty Dog

Maybe pair that rear sight up with an XS front sight?

Thumbs up Best AK iron sight picture

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Swain
    Maybe pair that rear sight up with an XS front sight?
    After using tritium/fiber optic sights on my Glock, I am completely sold on them. A fairly thorough internet search showed they are not available for the AK47. TruGlo says they will be making them for the AR15 next winter but has no plans for the AK. I think that XS front sights and tritium in the rear are the best solution currently available.
    Last edited by Link; 05-21-2006 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Link
    After using tritium/fiber optic sights on my Glock, I am completely sold on them. A fairly thorough internet search showed they are not available for the AK47. TruGlo says they will be making them for the AR15 next winter but has no plans for the AK. I think that XS front sights and tritium in the rear are the best solution currently available.
    Not so. Tritium night sights are available for AKs. I posted this at the beginning of this thread. Here it is again. Three dot, front and rear configurations available with the rear adjustable for windage.

http://www.polytechparts.com/

Cheers!

Gentlemen,

A couple of points occur to me...

1) As a practical matter, a tritium front sight like the one linked to by AKGunny may be all you need for normal night time combat. Use the rifle like a shotgun with a bead.

2) To a person whose eyes are fully night adjusted, tritium sights are very bright. They will partially spoil your night vision. Further, if the enemy sees them....you might as well have been smoking a cigarette.

Try this, wake up in the middle of the night in a totally dark room, I'll bet you can read newsprint by the light from the tritium sights on your pistol, I can.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AKGunny
    Not so. Tritium night sights are available for AKs.
    Gunny, I'm looking for tritium/fiber optic combination like TruGlo makes for the Glock and other hand guns. Do you know of any made for the AK?

Quote Originally Posted by Link
    Gunny, I'm looking for tritium/fiber optic combination like TruGlo makes for the Glock and other hand guns. Do you know of any made for the AK?
    Link,
    My bust. No, don't know of the trits with fiber optics, sorry. I will keep an eye out though.

Cheers!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast