Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mandatory keto for spec ops?

Backdoor way to require a daily drug screening.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 09. And a wakeup.

This seems super goofy...
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

That is a new article in the OP though we did start to talk about this a few weeks ago.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ethal-warriors

I don't know if I would call it goofy. A lot of us here have voluntarily done very similar thing with great results though not so strict as to do daily blood work. With the cumulative knowledge that diet can and does effect the body and that there are better ways than the great food pyramid lie it seems like a logical progression for this to make it to the military where they get tons of soft doughy people joining. It also make sense to me that they would start with SF guys since they would be the most likely to adhere to it.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    That is a new article in the OP though we did start to talk about this a few weeks ago.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ethal-warriors

I don't know if I would call it goofy. A lot of us here have voluntarily done very similar thing with great results though not so strict as to do daily blood work. With the cumulative knowledge that diet can and does effect the body and that there are better ways than the great food pyramid lie it seems like a logical progression for this to make it to the military where they get tons of soft doughy people joining. It also make sense to me that they would start with SF guys since they would be the most likely to adhere to it.
    I see a number of potential problems:

1) There's a huge difference between what people usually THINK keto is, and what keto actually is. It's NOT just low-carb eating--it's low protein as well. As in low enough that the average person may struggle to add or maintain muscle mass. I bet 90% of people I see on social media or whatever saying they "are doing keto" are not actually in ketosis. Sure, the military may be on top of these guys enough to ensure their macro numbers are correct and be doing daily blood tests, but color me skeptical.

2) Speaking of the military doing the right thing (I've never been in), anyone with military experience ever have an issue getting, like, extra hard-boiled eggs from the chow hall? I'm making some assumptions here, but if I had to guess, I'd wager that lots of soldiers have stories about less-than-optimal food choices being doled out.

3) It's a LOT of planning and maintenance to keep someone in keto, especially in sub-optimal conditions like, you know, warfare. Having guys slipping out of keto into "no man's land" where they're not in actual ketosis but too low on protein seems like it would adversely affect a fighting force.

I'm not saying there's no way they can make it work with SpecOps guys, but...I have trouble seeing how the juice is worth the squeeze on this one.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I would seriously doubt that MRE's would fit into the category!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I simply had to laugh at the insinuation that fat and protein are cheaper than carbs for large groups.

I have done Paleo, Keto, and a loose bodybuilding diet higher in starches. I feel best with a Paleo diet. I lose the most fat, but with a little muscle as well on Keto. I have not done a solid Keto cycle since 2015 because it kicks my ass in terms of energy. I am lean and cut, but don't have the energy to go do anything.

I am at my best when I am full Paleo which means lots of meat, lots of green leafy stuff, and lots of other vegetables such as carrots and yams, with a small amount of fruit. I no longer use any dairy at all, and have eschewed all grains such as rice, oats, wheat, etc. I feel 100% better without that in my diet. I did keep coffee because 'murrica, but its organic and ground that day. I have not had a beer since Christmas and do not plan to do so again. The only alcohol I drink...when I drink...is refined spirits like a good vodka or a good tequila.

I expect the face shooters read stuff here and research everywhere...just like we do. And if they want to be at physical peak at all times, will tend to eat the same stuff that we suggest. Just sayin.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Backdoor way to require a daily drug screening.
    The DOD doesn’t need an excuse
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Article was written by a kid whose longest commute is a trip to the coffee machine.

'Popular pizza MRE'.

ZERO. FIELD. TIME.

Im down for the military offering better meals, but Ill give my 2 educated cents in this regard.

Since about 2012, when I joined, food quality in dining facilities and gallies has improved quite a bit. Actually, if you want to eat healthy, boom you can. Onlu complaint would be an extra peice of protein.

And about forcing dudes in SF to adhere to a certain diet.... ��. There literally is a stack of beers and a bottle of bourbon in the team room fridge, right now.

They hve come out with a much metter (imo) MRE. They cant call it that, because MRE is actually a patentrd name. Its called a 'military lunch'. Prepared tuna fish and crackers, some fruit, a canned meat (I like the weiners), a rice crispie, and like a pepper mint. Has somethin like 40g of protein. Its made by jimmy dean. They have chicken and other prepared meats, I just favor the tuna.

When soldiers go to the field, they bring alot of their own food. Its usually junk food.

Offering and improving what is issued is one thing, a good thing.

Forcing daily blood tests.... lol good fu$&ing luck. Even from the Jo's, its a none starter.