Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBodyOneHead View Post
    I think you can get much of the benefit with the striker control devices that replace the slide cover plate for re holstering etc

I do own a Double Action with a manual safety for camping etc But, there the manual safety is a backup to the large trigger pull.
    That likely deserves a thread of it own and I was not aware of it. It seems to function in an opposite mode to a grip safety in that pushing it in is said to secure the trigger mechanism so a trigger pull can not fire the gun.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Ran 1911s for years and became proficient with the platform. But I cut my teeth on a DA revolver, was quick to embrace the Glock platform and have since fired thousands of rounds through striker and TDA guns. I prefer a decocker to the safety on TDAs and, except for specialized use (the striker-fired PDW) prefer my carry guns have no safeties. Whether my opinion changes after retirement remains to be seen.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 11. And a wakeup.

I am confident that Gabe did not reach this conclusion by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by 62-10 View Post
    I am confident that Gabe did not reach this conclusion by accident.
    I'm curious as to the thought process and change in opinion,especially since the idea didn't go over well when i brought it up several years ago.I still have a hard time engaging the Cominolli safety from appendix with out changing my grip on the way to the target.That is my primary reason for getting rid of it.

I recall a saying along the lines of "If I have 10 people agreeing with me all the time than I don"t need nine of them". I also like the quote "Trust but verify" from Regan.

All of the points in the op by Gabe have been at one time or another refuted by Gabe with what I paraphrased in my earlier post. Things I evaluated and agree with. I am not the only one confused by this sudden seeming reversal based on various message I have been sent. There is promise of more to come that I am waiting to evaluate it but right now more than one reaction has been WTF?
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

The sacred cow is strong here.

One of the hallmarks of warriortalk is that there aren't any sacred cows. I think that even extends to ones created by Gabe.

I mean, the whole point is that we don't get so attached to something that we are unwilling to consider more or new evidence and change our conclusions.

I own firearms with and without thumb safeties. I don't use them when carrying.

I do like the ability to add another layer of security (via thumb safety) if I set my firearm down for a moment for some reason. Or if the firearm is a in a bag / backup kit of some sort.

I'm not convinced I should have one on my carry pistol.

But let us have ears that are willing to hear, right? Maybe there is something to learn.

I don't care either way. I've run many platforms either professionally or in competition. 92F, 1911, BHP, Sig, and Glock, 3 out of 5 have manual safeties. I don't really see the need for one if you have a quality holster (Maybe on a field gun) but I don't see as big of a disadvantage or have experienced all this missing the safety I hear about.

I don't understand the collective "gasp" at Gabe changing his stance, he's outlined his reasons for getting one, if you agree, get one. If you don't, don't. An educated and experienced man is allowed to change his mind.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

After thinking on this a little bit more I am coming up with one detractor. On the 92F and the 1911, you can run ambi-safety, so in the event that you have to off hand draw ie; injured or downed man events, while a left side only safety can be taken off using your shooting hand thumb, it's less than ideal, and ambi-safety can still be utilized.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    .... so in the event that you have to off hand draw ie; injured or downed man events, while a left side only safety can be taken off using your shooting hand thumb, it's less than ideal, and ambi-safety can still be utilized.
    Yeah. Some (Chuck Taylor) used to advocate using the left hand index finger for this. On a 1911 I use the left hand thumb. Transfers readily to an AR w/o ambi.

Re: the thread. We're grownups here. "Run what you brung" is what the old street racers used to say. Running a safety or not, I wouldn't stand downrange of Gabe if he were seriously annoyed.

My work requires I carry in a holster that has 3 (or is it 4?) retention systems. Once I unlock the vault it's not easy to hit a safety as well, especially carrying lefty. So I'll wait and re-evaluate once I'm no longer drinking the client's whiskey.

Lest we get too far off track, this is not a 1911 v. Glock debate.
    Last edited by Papa; 07-01-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 11. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by ricco View Post
    "I don't understand the collective "gasp" at Gabe changing his stance"

You don't, seriously

Something that has been so adamantly condemned for so long is now suddenly thought so highly of that Gabe has put them on his carry pistols, you don't see how this is a bit confusing

I'm sure I'm not the only one this morning that is wondering what paradigm shift is next
    No I don't. I have changed my mind on a great many things in the last 10+ years of working with SI. I was one of the last adopters among the staff of RMR pistol until I started using one regularly, I used to be a huge proponent of the shotgun when I joined the forum and was derided by the masses for it (not staff but other members), and when we came back to it as an organization I was excited about modernizing the platform. When we started working with the PGO only shotties I had a notion on their effective envelope and role, after working with one my thoughts changed as to their effectiveness.

Now this, a new topic, which requires thoughtful discussion of the ins an outs, then hands on experience with it before my final decision is made. It never ceases to amaze me when people have an emotional reaction rather than stopping and thinking why/how the shift occurred, what motivated the shift, and why is Gabe or any of the staff changing their thought process on a topic.

When you stop growing, you start dying. While I may not end on the same conclusion as Gabe at least I can take the time to educate myself as to why he is thinking that way. Which is more important in the long run.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual