Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    When I was a teen I went to Jeff Cooper for my first pistol class and they taught the thumb on the safety technique. Actually, more than taught, they demanded it. It was hard to do correctly and my thumb kept slipping down and was soon sore and bloody from the terribly small stock safety. But I got yelled at when my thumb went low so I kept trying. I think one of the instructors was a former Army Drill Sergeant and he kept at me. At night the gunsmith, Robbie Barrkman, would modify class pistols so I soon had an extended safety which was easy to master. It also put the hand high and helped steady the pistol. It was natural and pure joy in use. Even today using other pistols, I miss having that thumb "rest."

Old 1911 guy. No issues with safeties. M&Ps and CZ's I own are all safety equipped.

My only comment, so far, is that I believe you should carry pistols that work the same. When the time comes you usually operate without taking the time to think about which one you have in the holster/hand and which controls it does/doesn't have.

The guys that carry a 1911 today, a SIG tomorrow, a Glock the day after (their CC rotation they call it) make me wonder what will happen when the time comes. But maybe I'm the only one who might have that issue....

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Well...nobody is forcing anyone to do anything are they. I see a benefit. If you dont it doesnt matter.
    You asked for opinions
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post
    You asked for opinions
    Exactly...but some guys seem to be offended by the idea.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    All of my carry pistols these days lack a manual safety and I can not use some guns that use a safety and others that do not. So it either safeties on all of them or none for CCW. At this particular moment after have just come in from outdoor chores I am wearing a S&W auto in a tanker style holster, it has exactly the same manual of arms as a glock, just a much heavier trigger pull. I still have 1911's for bullseye target shooting where actually I seldom use a safety. Gun is loaded on command only and fired on command. Basically I am no longer trained to use a safety for CCW use. Kiss principle for me. Never use a slide release to drop the slide either since those controls also vary. One movement to fit all when possible. There is a .38 spl in my pocket in a holster loaded with shot cartridges also no manual safety. Just like the glock, draw and fire.
    I was in a bit of a rush when I posted. Should have said that if I need something with an added degree of safety-for example camping with an unholstered pistol at my side-I use one of my Sigs. None of my carry pistols have thumb safeties.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

I am more willing to read more on the subject mainly because I know you are an innovative warrior that thinks out of the box and has come up with some most superior techniques and equipment. I gave my first thoughts and I will continue to follow what is discussed. i am always willing to consider new things that are better. I am glad you bought the topic up. Established concepts should be challenged from time to time. Complacency is the enemy of progress.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Maybe it was already mentioned but holsterless carry. It would be good to have a safety if you have to stick the Glock in your pants, and don't have a holster in an emergency type situation.

My thoughts are you're a grown man with more expertise than most, if you want a thumb safety you have a good reason. I'll admit it took me off guard, felt a little out of left field but it gives me reason to slow down, consider what you're saying and ask myself why I feel the way I do about manual safeties. But I also know how I used to feel about red dots on pistols before I tried them so there is that. 🤣
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

This maybe a stupid question, but the safety on the Glock looks smaller than the 1911 style. How hard is it to hit and how hard is it to move?
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I think you can get much of the benefit with the striker control devices that replace the slide cover plate for re holstering etc

I do own a Double Action with a manual safety for camping etc But, there the manual safety is a backup to the large trigger pull.