Default The Choir Boy gets through everywhere

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. Great trip. Very crowded. Very hot.

Anyway, my Choir Boy with one key attached made it through everywhere I went; on the planes there and back in my pocket/carry-on, through screening at the Vatican Museum (bag X-rays, walk through metal detectors and wands), at the Uffizi Gallery (Walk through metal detector and visual bag check) and Medici Chapels (walk through metal detector and visual bag check) in Florence.

Also carried a Fisher clicky space pen everywhere with no issues.

I had a smaller Benchmade AXIS lock I carried most places, but prior intel made it clear it would likely be confiscated at the Vatican. I was able to check it like a nice hat at the Uffizi and Medici Chapels, and got it back with no questions each time.

Italian knife laws are a bit odd from the research I did. You can have folding “tool knives” one your person, but need to be able to articulate your reason/professional need to be carrying it in the moment. I foun d some documentation that blade length needs to be no longer than the width of the palm of the person carrying the knife. (How very Italian.). Knives specifically for self-defense are technically illegal, but enforcement is up the discretion of the Police Officer in the moment. Fixed blades carried on the person are simply illegal. Leatherman/multi-tools and Swiss-Army type knives are okay, but there is some grey area if the Swiss Army knife has a locking main blade.

One of the things that works GREAT at building rapport should you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, at least with the Italian cops, is having some U.S. police patches to trade with them. They LOVE California Highway Patrol patches, (Chips was on Italian TV for years.) Any of the big city patches are a huge hit, especially NYPD and Miami/Metro-Dade. I’ve had Italian cops practically fighting over these, with some willing to give you there version of their badge, their hat/cover, etc. for one. This, coupled with a apologetic, humble attitude and feigned ignorance will likely get you a warning and walking away still in possession of your knife.

Anyway, thanks again to SI for developing and delivering such great tools.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Into the county courthouse a while back, "security" made me leave my little Vitronix Executive but never batted an eye at the Choirboy on the key ring along with a couple feet of paracord knotted. Got the knife back upon leaving. Didn't have to give up my Zebra pen either.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Airport security made me put it into my checked luggage. Nothing said of the sharpened screwdriver or pistol lock sap.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

My wife got mugged in venice on december 25 2019. The Italian cops were useless on another note.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisp View Post
    My wife got mugged in venice on december 25 2019. The Italian cops were useless on another note.
    Huh?
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Huh?
    He’s anticipating.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    He’s anticipating.
    Ah. My mistake.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Just went to Pennsylvania from CA. Again, the Choir Boy made through all Screening there and back. (Philly to SF and back.). Put in my carry-on for security, then back in pocket once through.

And in regards to my other post re: Hershey Park in PA, no issues. Cursory bag checks only. Signs said there would be possible metal detection as needed. Didn’t see any. Went in/out with G19 and all accoutrements without any issues.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES