Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone wear bifocal contacts?

Does anyone wear bifocal contacts? I've recently returned to wearing contact lenses, but have found that my close up/reading vision is much worse than with my glasses. I enjoy the freedom that my contacts give me, but not sure how well the bifocal contacts would work for shooting. For those of you who wear them, does it matter which eye (dominant or not) is used for close vs. distance? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    Does anyone wear bifocal contacts? I've recently returned to wearing contact lenses, but have found that my close up/reading vision is much worse than with my glasses. I enjoy the freedom that my contacts give me, but not sure how well the bifocal contacts would work for shooting. For those of you who wear them, does it matter which eye (dominant or not) is used for close vs. distance? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
    Yes. I have multifocal contacts, and I am extremely happy with the way they work. I started to have trouble with presbyopia when I was around 40. I turned 60 this year, but with the multifical contacts I can read small print, work a the computer, and see the sights on my pistol.

There is a slight disparity in the strength of mine between my right eye (dominant), and my left eye. The contact for my left eye is optimized for reading, but I can still see my sights clearly with my right eye. In my day-today routine I don't notice the slight difference in correction between the right and left eye.

I am trying a new brand of contact in my left eye right now that is not only multifocal, but it also corrects for astigmatism (toric lense). I am very happy with the way it is working out.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." Baader-Meinhof slogan

I do not wear contacts, so the following is hearsay - but I have heard it MANY times over the years, including from an old college buddy who is now an ophthalmologist...

For the majority of the population, contacts will not equal glasses for improving acuity, bifocal vision, or astigmatism. However, because they give a complete field of view, they give an illusion that they are better than glasses during a typical day, thus many folks will put up with contacts and wear them forever. When used for specific purposes like reading, shooting, microscopy, etc., - the true benefit of glasses comes out for certain individuals. YMMV

geezer john - a lifetime glasses wearer*

* So many people with asitmatism complain about red dot sights looking like clusters of grapes. They are often - though not always - contact wearers. My glasses are ground correctly (not at the mall place for $79:) and I have profound astigmatism. I have never seen anything other than a clear and specific dot through all of my RDS sights.

I strongly and profoundly suggest getting checked to see if you are a candidate for Lasik. There are various procedures and while I was a lifetime eyeglasses guy, I have had near perfect vision since 2005.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Upgrading yourself is a lot better than upgrading equipment.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I strongly and profoundly suggest getting checked to see if you are a candidate for Lasik. There are various procedures and while I was a lifetime eyeglasses guy, I have had near perfect vision since 2005.
    +1000. I had it done 12 years ago and it was the best investment I've ever made in myself. Starting to see a little distance degradation recently (turned 50 last year). I can only hope I'm a candidate for some touch-up LASIK work. I already rely on cheaters for reading and such, I can't imagine having to go back to corrective lenses full time.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Last time I checked, I wasn't a candidate for Lasik, but that was a few years ago. I'll check again, and see if technology has outpaced the aging process for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beoceorl View Post
    There is a slight disparity in the strength of mine between my right eye (dominant), and my left eye. The contact for my left eye is optimized for reading, but I can still see my sights clearly with my right eye. In my day-today routine I don't notice the slight difference in correction between the right and left eye.
    Are you right handed?

I am right handed, and right eye dominant.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." Baader-Meinhof slogan

And BTW, if I thought Lasik would work for me I would have the procedure done in a heartbeat. Both of my daughters had it done, and it worked out very well for them.