Default GRAPPLING IN KARATE

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Interesting, haven't thought of it in exactly those terms.

I will have to experiment with the arm check on the leg with that throw. I can see how it works mechanically though I'm less convinced tactically (the guy's other arm is free).

When I look at this one I see Tai Otoshi. Not exactly like the video below but close.

Nukite (spear hand) is shown in kata like punch, except with extended fingers. This is foolish...even if your fingers are hard enough to strike with speed (and I know people who can), you're still more likely to injure yourself. But done with an open palm, or with the web of the hand, that can be done fast. Or shoving your fingers or thumb through vulnerable points slowly, if in a standing grapple, this also makes sense.

The lead arm (the nukite arm) can go under the arm, as from the Karate video, or it can drive over the shoulder, wrapping the head. Whereas Judo uses a lift with Tai Otoshi, as demonstrated in Pinan Sandan the emphasis is all down (it means body DROP after all). The spearing hand has an arc...first it drives through (the spear as seen in kata), then it drives down (the drop that is performed with the turn). Pushing against his body will make him resist...but going AROUND him makes it harder for him to feel. It's like a glancing blow.

The Karate video is interesting with the hand check, but fighting wise I'd really much rather use my leg as in Tai Otoshi.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Relative to grappling and similar one should be careful not train in way that you expect the solid clothe sleeve of a gee to be there when you grab. I remember a fellow at a local YMCA that was training in judo. He tried a shoulder throw on a thug and ripped the guy's shirt and got punched in the mouth for his troubles. The body throw was the one throw that I could do reasonably well, but mostly in our judo class we were allowed grapple on the mat and I generally could choke people. although in a real life struggle, if I have access the throat, I will strike it and not be choking and hopefully getting a thumb or finger into the eyes while I am at it.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

It’s easier to learn a lot of the throws when you can grab the gi. But you quickly have to learn how to hold without relying on the clothing.

I think of a grab like crab claws. Sounds good but it’s easy to break that grip, it’s usually overly tense and not a lot of surface area making contact.

I think of holding like the tentacles of an octopus. Gentle, yielding...but lots of surface area, it’s “sticky”, and hard to break the hold.

And the hold isn’t just the hands. Any bit of contact is helpful.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington