Default Dry-Fire Training - Simulates “Full” Weight Mags

Simulated “Full” weighted mags

Does anyone know a good manufacturer/provider of replica mags that simulate the weight of a fully loaded mag? Namely Glock?

I’ve been doing a lot of practice in draws from concealment with the Glock and would like the weight to be similar to a loaded gun. Preferably a replica mag with a lowered follower to avoid catching the slide stop while racking the slide.

Looked through all the threads in this subforum back to 2016 and couldn’t find anything. Thanks!
    "We must all suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret and disappointment." -Jim Rohn

I don't think its a big deal. If I did, I would use them. I do take the guts out of an old mag and use a handful of those for this sort of thing to allow working the slide without locking it open. If one has been reading, watching, and training, they know that the speed load (ie dropping magazines routinely out of the gun during reloading) while orgasmically popular with the bullet golfers and those whose training is driven by them, is a bad practice and not suggested for those whose goals are gunfight excellence.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Thanks Gabe, appreciate the quick feedback.

I just noticed a difference in weight between an empty Glock and one with a full mag inserted, and just wanted to get the muscle memory down for an accurate draw. But if you guys think it’s nothing to worry about, I’ll defer to experience. Thanks again.
    "We must all suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret and disappointment." -Jim Rohn

A couple of years ago, I got into a bit of an overkill “train like you fight” headspace. And had the thought of needing my G19/17/43’s to weight the same as a fully loaded gun even when doing dry-practice. (For the draw from concealment and movement/swing of the sights/RMR dot onto target as “realistically” as possible, working proactive reloads with real weight, etc.)

So I weighed a full 19 mag +1 round (the one in the chamber/told you I went bit over) on the wife’s kitchen scale. Did the same for the 17 and 43 mags.

I had some old 10-round Glock 19 and 17 mags in my junk drawer. I filled them with wheel weights until they all weighed the same as their respective loaded mags +1 round. I also sprayed the floorplates orange to designate them as training mags.

I still use them for my dry-fire practice, as without followers they work like loaded/partially loaded mags for proactive reloads. I still occasionally practice slide-lock reloads with a plain empty mag and one of the weighted trainers, but the vast majority of my dry reps are the SI proactive reloads.

Looking at them now, pretty unnecessary. But they do what I originally wanted them to and have held up to thousands of cycles.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Agree with Gabe. It’s not necessary. Most of the time when you are ripping out mags they won’t be full. I just use empties. There’s also a company that makes inserts so the follower won’t engage.

But Blueguns makes them if you really want one.

Or remove the follower from and old mag and fill it part way with epoxy.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    A couple of years ago, I got into a bit of an overkill “train like you fight” headspace. And had the thought of needing my G19/17/43’s to weight the same as a fully loaded gun even when doing dry-practice. (For the draw from concealment and movement/swing of the sights/RMR dot onto target as “realistically” as possible, working proactive reloads with real weight, etc.)

So I weighed a full 19 mag +1 round (the one in the chamber/told you I went bit over) on the wife’s kitchen scale. Did the same for the 17 and 43 mags.

I had some old 10-round Glock 19 and 17 mags in my junk drawer. I filled them with wheel weights until they all weighed the same as their respective loaded mags +1 round. I also sprayed the floorplates orange to designate them as training mags.

I still use them for my dry-fire practice, as without followers they work like loaded/partially loaded mags for proactive reloads. I still occasionally practice slide-lock reloads with a plain empty mag and one of the weighted trainers, but the vast majority of my dry reps are the SI proactive reloads.

Looking at them now, pretty unnecessary. But they do what I originally wanted them to and have held up to thousands of cycles.
    I have several mags set up like this, but for a completely different reason -- to keep me from shooting the wall (and television) I use for a backstop during dry fire practice. I've never -- knock on wood -- had an negligent discharge, but a couple of times I came pretty close (dumbass mistakes) and remember them quite well. I'm in my mid-60s and I see more and more people my age and older making dumbass mistakes with automobiles, lawmowers, etc. I dry fire a lot and the more I do the statistics favor making a mistake. I want to establish protocols and systems so as I get older I'm not -- in the words of the immortal Richard Pryor -- "part of no mother-f@ckin' accident."

I've also added a LaserLyte to the mix and it adds a new dynamic, particularly for first shot following presentation. It also acts as a snap cap (good for my CZ75) and prevents accidental loading of a live cartridge.

This may or may not be necessary for you, but for me it's another fail-safe.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Real world, you wont feel the weight. You will be worried about topping off in case another threat presents, but you wont be able to feel the weight difference, your body will be so overcharged with "winning" the first fight that it could weight 15lbs and it will still go to battery without notice (as long as you trained to do so).
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

I quick internet search indicated that the simulated mags are far more expensive than a factory or Magpul mag. I would just take an older or problematic mag and remove the innards as Gabe suggests and then buy a couple of factory or Magpul mags to put into service. I'm not being cheap, just sensible - as I don't have a need or desire for solid plastic firearms or magazines. I also concur with Marco, if you want weighted practice mags, it wouldn't be difficult to weight an empty mag with weights and packed with modeling clay, silicone sealant, epoxy, or such to keep the weight in the mag body.
    I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

My advice is free, and backed by a double your money back guarantee.

SI sells the SIRT mags for $20 all day long. Those are weighted mags that will fit in your Glock perfectly, have a molded bullet-top shape that allows you to rack the slide over them, and can be spray-painted in bright colors to distinguish them immediately from real mags.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Real world, you wont feel the weight. You will be worried about topping off in case another threat presents, but you wont be able to feel the weight difference, your body will be so overcharged with "winning" the first fight that it could weight 15lbs and it will still go to battery without notice (as long as you trained to do so).
    THIS^^^ Get it right then get it fast. Put in the reps until you develop muscle memory and economy of motion.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities