Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    Very good info. May I also suggest you consider becoming a hunter. Deer and elk are very good forms of red meat....not the most cost effective, but at least you know where the meat came from and hunting is a great skill/hobby.
    When you figure out the time and costs to go big game hunting for elk and deer it is cheaper to buy grass fed beef. If I want wild meat there is no season on wild hogs in my area and when on private lands no rules or regulations as to how you kill them or when you kill them in Florida. Anything short of nuclear weapons is likely legal. Probably worth my while to look up the nutritional levels of feral pigs. They do carry disease, but you can try out your night vision gear when you kill them. In one of my clubs there are some guys that do regularly kill feral pigs for sport and turn the meat over to charities.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Default Smoke points and harmful free radicals

Link that is quoted below explains the danger from reusing oils and using oils with low smoking points. Avoid fried foods prepared in restaurants and fast food places. French fries are likely quite toxic for example. Below is a short quote from this article and it is a good idea to go to the link for more information.
    https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org...s-for-cooking/
    Smoke points and harmful free radicals The first question you need to ask yourself is: which oils create harmful compounds when heated? Letís start with the smoke point first. The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which it goes over the edge of safety and starts smoking. When an oil is heated past its smoke point, it releases free radicals Ė it reacts with oxygen to form harmful compounds. You definitely donít want to be consuming or breathing in these. Free radicals can injure cells and DNA in your body. Beware of HNE, a nasty compound: One harmful compound that can be produced when heated is called HNE. This compound is linked to the pathogenesis of vascular diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetes, and neurodegenerative disorders.

Source: © The Health Sciences Academy ģ. All Rights Reserved.
    It is no wonder that poorer segments of our population that frequent fast food places are so unhealthy. Some think it is because of ethnic/racial differences in genes, but the food that is consumed certainly needs to be considered.
    If the government outlawed public sale of fried foods our health care costs would go down after the rioting and fighting in the streets in response to such a ban stopped.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I can see the value of organic and grass fed milk, but I am not so convinced on the necessity of raw milk and milk was not part of the ancient adult paleo-diet. I can digest lactose as can most americans of western european background.
    I agree that adults eating any dairy is of questionable value...but that's another thread.
    Raw milk is a very different product than processed milk. There are risks to everything. But that's another thread too.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    I agree that adults eating any dairy is of questionable value...but that's another thread.
    Raw milk is a very different product than processed milk. There are risks to everything. But that's another thread too.
    The whole reason for dairy was for pastoral peoples to derive continual nourishment from their cattle and other ruminants and also horses w/o killing them. It was beneficial enough relative to survival and reproduction that most people of the non-southern areas of europe can as adults digest milk because of the selection for genetic mutations for the needed enzymes to persist past infancy. Forms of that mutation has arisen independently in different groups of humans. The Indo-european invaders introduced that gene into europe. Some people of southern European extraction do have problems with lactose tolerance and the genes for lactose tolerance are missing in some African, Asian, and native american populations.
    If you lack the right genes then fermenting the dairy breaks down the lactose and you can handle it with your digestive system.

Lactose Intolerance map of the world

yi0n6doj57szlactose tolerance.jpg
    Last edited by barnetmill; 06-22-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typos

Gigantic dairy cows did not exist until recent times. They produce larger quantities of milk, but what about milk quality if they eat corn or soy, and what if they have the A1 beta-casein protein mutation? I've had over half a gallon of some organic brands of milk in a day with no ill effect, but a single glass of more common milk turns my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
    Gigantic dairy cows did not exist until recent times. They produce larger quantities of milk, but what about milk quality if they eat corn or soy, and what if they have the A1 beta-casein protein mutation? I've had over half a gallon of some organic brands of milk in a day with no ill effect, but a single glass of more common milk turns my stomach.
    What a milk cow eats can certainly affect the milk.
    In the last couple of years i have essentially quit drinking whole milk but I do use a fair amount of the 50/50 mix in my tea. I have no trouble with the lactose, but decided that a lot of milk was not good for me. Lately I started to drink a bit of the V-8 vegetable juice which does not have too many carbs and should not be harmful. I dropped the wine since it seemed to raise by blood pressure a bit and it goes straight to your liver. I was drinking quite a bit and so I drastically cat it back.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    What a milk cow eats can certainly affect the milk.
    In the last couple of years i have essentially quit drinking whole milk but I do use a fair amount of the 50/50 mix in my tea. I have no trouble with the lactose, but decided that a lot of milk was not good for me. Lately I started to drink a bit of the V-8 vegetable juice which does not have too many carbs and should not be harmful. I dropped the wine since it seemed to raise by blood pressure a bit and it goes straight to your liver. I was drinking quite a bit and so I drastically cat it back.
    I only buy organic dairy products. My milk is organic O% fat, and I use it for my protein shakes, and in my tea, no worries.

I'm currently on a no substance restriction that has me drinking water and tea only, no OTC meds or supplements, etc. until whenever after the cancer meds I was receiving tried to kill my liver last week. In fact I just came home toady from a 5 day, all expenses paid, "holiday" at "Hotel VA Hospital"