Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DA/SA Options

@ 45 plus years ago I started out with various 1911's and then during the late 70's I transitioned to a Sig P220 (worshiped at the alter of the 45acp). Then I moved on to a P229 and a brief affair with 40 S&W. Sometime around the late 80's early 90's I "saw the light" and went all in with Glock. So up until a couple years ago all of my EDC and war pistols were all Glocks; most recently with milled slides and RMR's.

So about 2 years ago I rethought my priorities and have gone back to the DA platform and in particular DA Sig's. I am also fortunate in having an amazing Sig gunsmith just 30 minutes away. My current EDC is a Sig M11A1 (basically a P228/P229) that's had a full action job. I also have a Legion P226 (with action job too) that is my house/RV pistol. In a DA action, I believe Sig is the way to go, but they definitely need action work. All of my Sig's, including Legions, had extremely heavy DA and single trigger pulls. Factory DA on most of my Sigs was 12+ lbs and single @ 8-9 lbs. After having action work done all are now @ 6-7 DA and @ 3 lbs Single. This makes a BIG difference!

BTW, I also have a couple Wilson Beretta 92's with full action jobs. They are on par with my Sig's, but I prefer the Decocking mechanism of a Sig. I'd probably carry a Wilson or Langdon Beretta as my 2nd choice. I also have a couple CZ 75's with the Omega trigger and hammer, but the Sig's and Wilson 92's are vastly superior, although the CZ's are a great pistol for half the price of either a Sig or a high end Beretta.
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

“In case of doubt, attack.”
    ― George S. Patton Jr.

"If the government is the answer, then the question is stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    I have to agree with P226 for the win, followed by the M92. I have no experience w/ the CZ. And as much as I like the HK P30, it shares the same flaw as all of HK DA/SA guns, IMO- a $hit trigger. I've heard they can be tuned to something comparable to a Sig SRT... but at a cost of ~$300.
    I put an RMR on the 226 I bought from you and I love it. Easy to shoot and extremely accurate.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

I bought a factory refurbished P226 from Mike and then had Josh do his SI magic and it is a damn fine shooter, RDS, SI tuned trigger, short reset, NP3 slide and an RMR. It is an accurate combat firearm and surprisingly able to conceal, and it is one of my favorite pistols right now. I carry an HK DA only USP compact 40 for duty. it is is a legit workhorse that never fails, however, the P226 is so much nicer.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

SIG seems to have lots of good options, although I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with SIG. I've heard a lot of good things about the LTT Beretta 92 (although not suitable for a red dot).
    I am a huge CZ fan, my EDC is a P01 with CGW internals and milled for a DPP. I plan on adding an SP01 to the inventory when funds allow. I highly recommend giving the steel and alloy frame CZ75 variants a look.
    Last edited by CombatWombat; 06-19-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    Combat Wombat: Eats Roots and Leaves.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    "Marines don't know how to spell the word defeet"

I have had or at least shot the ever loving shit out of all of them. My preference is overall Sig for reliability and versatility, bearing in mind they have to predate Ron Cohen's take-over. the CZ 75 series is a close second, but do have issues in the higher round counts with slide release and firing pin cross pin breakages being common. my third place is a relative unknown and newcomer to the game being the Arex Rex Zero line, which for all intents and purposes is a sig clone with added features, and while mine has been amazing, they simply dont have the track record to bump them up higher in my personal rating. i like berettas, i do, and plan on buying an M9A3 in the next year or so when price hopefully comes down a little, but if i were going to pick one up right now, it would be from Langdon. I like and want an HK for the same reason as anyone else, nostalgia, that being said, if its not of the USP line, i don't want it. outside of this they really have nothing better to offer than anyone else and if i were to purchase on, it would be a police trade-in because ill be damned if im paying full price for the hottest gun of 1993 with no significant updates. I've had a CZ P09 and shot the hell out of P07s, and i gotta say, they just feel cheap with limited aftermarket support leaning towards concealed carry. Sure you can go to cajun or cz custom and buy everything you need to turn it into a decent competition gun, but thats not a realm i associate with. realistically, its the cz copy of the sig sp2022 which was sigs bastardized attempt at a USP.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    My preference is overall Sig for reliability and versatility, bearing in mind they have to predate Ron Cohen's take-over.
    Bear with my ignorance here--about how old would a Sig pistol need to be to avoid the reliability/versatility issues you implied the later pistols have?

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Bear with my ignorance here--about how old would a Sig pistol need to be to avoid the reliability/versatility issues you implied the later pistols have?
    He took over Sig April of 05'
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    He took over Sig April of 05'
    Thanks. Also means you gotta buy a pretty old Sig to avoid the apparent later issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    my third place is a relative unknown and newcomer to the game being the Arex Rex Zero line, which for all intents and purposes is a sig clone with added features, and while mine has been amazing, they simply dont have the track record to bump them up higher in my personal rating.
    I loved mine too. I picked one up when I decided I wanted a DA/SA for a bedside pistol but realized I had missed the Sig boat at SI. I liked it more than the Sigs I owned before. I just sold mine to finance most of a Arex Zero One tactical to wear an RMR. If they make a tactical version of the compact, I'll be tempted to get one even though I can't picture I'd actually carry anything heavier than a G19.

I had a CZ Custom Protek I that was a wonderful pistol, but I sold it after I determined getting it milled for an RMR and finding suppressor height sights was more of a PITA than I wanted to take on. It was only a few ounces heavier than their polymer pistols though, and it was the only double stack I've carried besides a Glock since shortly after I started reading this forum well over a decade ago.

The USP full size and compact are solid. I like the larger trigger guard for shooting with gloves (during cold or bowhunting). the DA trigger is heavy but smooth and the LEM trigger can be installed to make it a very light DA pull. You CAN carry it condition one, with the safety on, but I cannot easily manipulate it in my draw stroke. I like the mag release as I can use my middle finger to drop the mag without adjusting the gun in hand. Maybe I just have short thumbs? Putting an RDS on one is an expensive endeavor, so I use these as my winter woods guns (no snow packed in RDS).

I just purchased my first Sig, a used MK25 with the SRT trigger. It is an amazingly accurate weapon. I was going to send it to SI for red dot, but see they no longer offer it. I'm now keeping my eye out for a used 229.