Default INTERESTING/DIFFERENT WAY TO HOLD A KNIVE TO COUNTER A WEAK LOCKING SYSTEM

The discussion about liner lock knives reminded me of a solution that some people came up with to deal with the possibility of the lock on the knive failing.

In the late 80`ts and early 90`ts in Cape Town people that carried cheap Buck Knives/Folders or the very popular OKAPPI Knive which is basically just a huge clasp-knive, held the knive with the edge facing them.

The reasoning behind this was that if your knive wanted to snap close in the middle of the fight the web of your hand would stop the Blade from completely closing in on your fingers

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

That would certainly keep all your fingers together,

-- ML

Yikes!

Rather carry a sharpened screwdriver!
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 14. And a wakeup.

That sounds like the knife equivalent of carry a backpack full of spare batteries for the ACRO. Better to just get a knife with a solid lock

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    The discussion about liner lock knives reminded me of a solution that some people came up with to deal with the possibility of the lock on the knive failing.

In the late 80`ts and early 90`ts in Cape Town people that carried cheap Buck Knives/Folders or the very popular OKAPPI Knive which is basically just a huge clasp-knive, held the knive with the edge facing them.

The reasoning behind this was that if your knive wanted to snap close in the middle of the fight the web of your hand would stop the Blade from completely closing in on your fingers

OSSU!
    Elfie
    Just thinking that through for a moment, I can't imagine that if/when the blade snaps shut on the web of your hand that the pain and shock won't cause you to instantly react with a loud expletive and stop fighting to see how badly f*cked up your hand is. Meanwhile your attacker recognising a window of opportunity finishes the task of kicking your arse into the middle of nest month.

As the previous poster said, get a better knife. Isn't your life worth it?
    Last edited by P.D.; 06-16-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Bl**dy typos!

Fixed Blade is the way to go.
    ...If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"...
    If - Rudyard Kipling

ECRG, June 2006
    Warrior Skills Camp, July 2009

So if instead you cut the tendons to your thumb, what have you gained?

Guys

Knives to them almost seem to be just a step above a Shank/Improvised Weapon. They did not carry their knives as a Fighting Tool but almost like a piece of emergency equipment to get out of trouble-To be used and then discarded after the fight, something that they would not mind losing.

Or if they were about to be caught with a Blade in their possession they could dump it in a bush nearby and retrieve later. That is why they scoffed at new and expensive Blades, calling them to fancy "shiny" something that could easily catch the eye.

Which is funny enough how a lot of them would "obtain" their new Blades!-The newer knives easier to spot when they get dumped and easy to spot in the bushes.

Their Fighting Weapons was an entirely different matter.

I once saw a homemade knive that looked straight out of a Terminator movie-Something obviously made by somebody who knew something about Knive Fighting. Mend For Stabbing and Slashing.

The Hatchet with a hammer on one end was a favorite and the guys would use the Hammer end to cause major damage and of course Machete`s/Pangas-With some people becoming extremely accurate at throwing them.

P.D. Like I mentioned I saw the person holding the Buck-knive with the edge facing him and asked him about it. And that was the explanation I got. Not a technique I would use personally and I never got the chance to ask him if he had ever used the technique himself successfully. I seem to recall that he had a scar on his hand where an OKAPPI had closed and maybe this was his own personal solution to prevent it from happening again in the future.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Yeah, this thread just further justifies my disdain for folding knives. Fixed blades are the answer.