Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Very unlikely I realize, but is there another LEO here patrolling with an ostomy?

I ask because I had surgery Feb 1st to remove an advanced tumor. I have returned to patrol on a limited schedule because I am still receiving chemotherapy injections. My last injection is scheduled for June 26th. I'm out a week following each injection then work for two weeks up until the next......

Point Blank modified my vest and trama plate free of charge due to my new ostomy because I cannot have it compressed.

I'm figuring things out dealing with it but also it's been a real challenge,,,, physically and mentally. If anyone here is functioning on duty with an ostomy, I'm looking for advice regarding vest improvements, gear, protection barriers, ECT. It's a very rare thing for an officer to patrol with but maybe there's someone?

Basically I have an area below my left rib all the way down to the duty belt open without protection. I'm still trying different ostomy appliances now having moderate success.

Any experience with it or ideas regarding this, I'm interested.

Wow, that's a different question.... I'm going to have to think on that one for a bit.

How did they modify the armor?
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 06-14-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

They basically removed ballistic material giving breathing room and seamed the edges plus notched a corner from the trama plate that covers center chest.

Much respect to you.

Can you go to a hard plate shaped to fit? A local source does compressed kevlar that can be used as rigid panels and I *think* it can be shaped. https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/ Ignore the ar500 silliness and just contact them directly.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by millergun View Post
    They basically removed ballistic material giving breathing room and seamed the edges plus notched a corner from the trama plate that covers center chest.
    Oh I don't like that idea. I'd look more at like a horse shoe of padding on the back side to create a pocket behind the armor so it doesn't press on it. I agree with Sam that it might be easier to work with rigid armor like ESAPI plates and figure out how to hold it away from the affected area.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I appreciate the input.

I like the thought of the formed hard plate.

I like the formed hard plate idea as well.

Much respect for doing what you are, most wouldn't..

Have a read of this article, the item towards the end of the article might be of use underneath a vest.

http://www.disabledpolice.info/produ...ostomy-armour/

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post
    I like the formed hard plate idea as well.

Much respect for doing what you are, most wouldn't..
    All of this.

True grit.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 09. And a wakeup.

Thanks for the links and comments.....

I've requested a 4x8 plate to cover the opening that I can use a spacer with to gain room..... Much of this will be trial and error yet.

I'll continue studying other possibilities for the future and I know I'll buy a couple of different products with time.

I just want to return to my normal function as much as possible.