Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yellow Jacket Stings and pistol shooting

I took a single yellow jacket sting in the forearm Tuesday and on Thursday shot a 900 match with .22, that is from standing position and only using one hand on the gun. I am not the greatest shot in the world for sure, but I noticed more trembling or shakiness than normal. The previous noticeable swelling was going down along with most of moderate pain, it was only one sting after all. But, definitely my shooting off.

Has anyone here ever had a similar experience.

Yellow Jacket stings generally noted for being painful and persist more than what you get from most other wasps. Not as persistent as some spider bites.

Below a photo of the typical entrance to a nest and if see such you better back off. Go over with a piece of equipment and you are for a world of hurt. I pour gasoline down such holes using a length plastic pipe to kill them.
    Southern+yellow+jacket's+nest-2.jpg
    The
    eastern yellow jacket
    or
    eastern yellowjacket
    (
    Vespula maculifrons
    ) is a
    wasp
    found in eastern
    North America
    [1]
    Although most of their nests are subterranean, they are often considered a pest due to their nesting in recreational areas and buildings.
    [2]
    This yellow jacket is a
    social insect
    , living in colonies of hundreds to thousands of individuals.
    [3]
    Along with their subfamily,
    Vespinae
    , this species demonstrates supportive parental care for offspring, separation of reproductive and sterile
    castes
    , and overlapping generations.
    [4]
    They aggressively defend their hives from threats and are known to inflict painful stings.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Been stung by honey bees, bumble bees and yellow jackets. The latter are by far the worst and they persist much longer.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Not an expert, but like other things, different people may have different reactions. One thing that works for quick relief is to cut an onion and rub the raw onion/onion juice on the sting. Do it more than once if you need to in case it starts burning/stinging again later.

In my experience, bees seemed to just "go after me" when I was younger. I could be sitting on a swing minding my own business and one would fly by and nail me, somewhere.

Yellow jackets - sting, some itching/swelling right at the sting. Didn't bother me much.
    Wasps (the brown kind common around here - sting, some itching/swelling right at the sting. Didn't bother me much.
    Honey bee - same.
    Bumble bee - I remember being stung one time when I was very young. Don't remember what it was like.
    White faced hornet - oh holy hell!! Like having someone drive a red hot nail deep into my flesh. Nothing I've ever been stung with hurts like that. I'd rather get multiple wasp/yellow jacket/honey bee stings than one single white faced hornet sting.
    Mud daubers - sting hurts and then numbs my limb. Stung twice when I was a kid. Leg the first time, made it difficult to walk home. Second time it was an arm and I couldn't do much with my hand/fingers till it wore off.

We used to have yellow jacket nests in the ground around here but I haven't seen one in years.

As I got older they seemed to not be very interested in me anymore. I may get stung today, but I haven't been stung by any kind of bee/wasp/hornet in 10 or 12 years now. They (brown wasps) are in several of my sheds and I sometimes see a hornet's nest in a bush/shrub while mowing the grass. I just leave them alone and they seem to leave me alone (the hornets that is, I still sometimes kill wasps and knock there nests down so no one else gets stung in one of the sheds. Sometimes (couple times per summer) if the Jeep or the truck set too long we'll see a next when we open up the door to get in. We knock those off and smash them.

We had 13 or so of those nests in the yard
    when I moved here. I learned to spot them
    by watching for the constant stream of them
    leaving & returning to the nest in the hotter
    time of day. I would pour a slug of gas in the
    hole after dark, to help from getting stung
    when they were inactive, and to help ensure
    that I got all of them, and I didn't use a pipe.

My mom did not have allergic reactions until
    she was stung by a yellow jacket in her mid-
    60's or so. She said she knew instantly that
    she was having a significant reaction including
    her throat swelling, so apparently this can
    become a serious concern as we age.

I guess antihistamines in our IFAK's might be
    a good idea, not only for ourselves but others
    around us.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

I was tagging along with the local EOD squad on a training day (I teach forensics to Criminal Justice students).
    We had just blown up an old van with 28# of RDX and it was time to clean up the debris.
    That is when we found out it was parked over a yellow jacket nest!!! They were NOT happy. Oh - and I had forgotten my epi-pen:) The things we make it through in life.

geezer john

Been stung multiple times by the yellow bastards.

Once on the eyebrow, that hurt for a while. I avoid them whenever possible.
    I've seen cleaner lines and sharper edges on a box of donuts --- Jon Payne

The smoke from their burning little corpses is reported to be therapeutic!

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
    The smoke from their burning little corpses is reported to be therapeutic!

SD
    When pouring gasoline down the holes there is no need to light it. The contact of gasoline with an insect body is fatal to the insect and the fumes also bother them. Igniting gasoline can sometimes cause fire or explosions that might be fun, but are not an important part of the mission to kill the colony.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

yellow jackets hurt alright but so do the red barn wasp we have around here! I raised my head up into one of their nest while putting hay in the barn and the tore me a new one!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    Not an expert, but like other things, different people may have different reactions. One thing that works for quick relief is to cut an onion and rub the raw onion/onion juice on the sting. Do it more than once if you need to in case it starts burning/stinging again later.

In my experience, bees seemed to just "go after me" when I was younger. I could be sitting on a swing minding my own business and one would fly by and nail me, somewhere.

Yellow jackets - sting, some itching/swelling right at the sting. Didn't bother me much.
    Wasps (the brown kind common around here - sting, some itching/swelling right at the sting. Didn't bother me much.
    Honey bee - same.
    Bumble bee - I remember being stung one time when I was very young. Don't remember what it was like.
    White faced hornet - oh holy hell!! Like having someone drive a red hot nail deep into my flesh. Nothing I've ever been stung with hurts like that. I'd rather get multiple wasp/yellow jacket/honey bee stings than one single white faced hornet sting.
    Mud daubers - sting hurts and then numbs my limb. Stung twice when I was a kid. Leg the first time, made it difficult to walk home. Second time it was an arm and I couldn't do much with my hand/fingers till it wore off.

What I have found to be the best way to help with the swelling and pain is to make a simple paste and apply to the area affected. This paste is made from Backing soda and water. Add enough water to the baking soda to make the paste the consistency of tooth paste. Then simple apply to the affected area. Does not take long to counter act the poison and stop the pain and swelling.