Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    It just dawned on me, while working through this technique mentally, that this could be modified very easily into the aptly-named Okinawa Takeoff. I don't know that the major/initially-obvious application is a takeoff, but it looks quite adaptable in that way. Ahh, the layers beneath which to delve, whereupon to discover treasures hidden beyond score...
    Yes, the feet land in the same position in the takeoff.

One could incorporate the applications from the takeoff with some work. I will say that when I really step on the gas with the takeoff I MUST take a follow up step or two; there is too much momentum to do anything else. Which is a good thing given what a takeoff is for. But different options are a great thing.

I see this as an excellent developmental exercise for those who don’t have the flexibility or dexterity for the takeoff. This is great for hip flexibility, balance, ankle dexterity...

good stuff
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

It just dawned on me, while working through this technique mentally, that this could be modified very easily into the aptly-named Okinawa Takeoff. I don't know that the major/initially-obvious application is a takeoff, but it looks quite adaptable in that way. Ahh, the layers beneath which to delve, whereupon to discover treasures hidden beyond score...

One could incorporate the applications from the takeoff with some work. I will say that when I really step on the gas with the takeoff I MUST take a follow up step or two; there is too much momentum to do anything else. Which is a good thing given what a takeoff is for. But different options are a great thing.

I see this as an excellent developmental exercise for those who donít have the flexibility or dexterity for the takeoff. This is great for hip flexibility, balance, ankle dexterity...

good stuff
    Brent Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

I see this as an excellent developmental exercise for those who don’t have the flexibility or dexterity for the takeoff. This is great for hip flexibility, balance, ankle dexterity...

good stuff
    Excellent point on using this as a developmental move. Dang, I gotta relearn the old-style Pinans I knew when I was a little kid, instead of the watered-down Pyung-Ahns (more or less the same but, well, watered-down, in some styles of TKD) I learned in later years. I first learned Pinan Shodan in exactly the way shown in the video, when I was about 5. The footwork stuck with me in sparring, my learning a different version of the form notwithstanding.

PIVOT Step: I like the way he hides the kick by switching his feet and kicks with the opposite leg. And uses SABAKI`S to move to the Outside Line.

STEP AS A KICK: Looks like the Savate kick aimed at the knee and the Jon Jones kick. Again adding a step to the Outside Line-SABAKI

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Excellent point on using this as a developmental move. Dang, I gotta relearn the old-style Pinans I knew when I was a little kid, instead of the watered-down Pyung-Ahns (more or less the same but, well, watered-down, in some styles of TKD) I learned in later years. I first learned Pinan Shodan in exactly the way shown in the video, when I was about 5. The footwork stuck with me in sparring, my learning a different version of the form notwithstanding.
    The system I started with as a kid was Japanese. But my instructor had learned Okinawan versions of the kata and sometimes shared them with us. Even then I thought they were much more interesting.

Today I look at the difference between Japanese and Okinawan Karate kata and I find the Okinawan versions to be much, much richer. Much more detail and depth.

Movement is movement, and any training is better than nothing. But some stuff is better than others, if one takes the time to learn it.
    Brent Yamamoto

The system I started with as a kid was Japanese. But my instructor had learned Okinawan versions of the kata and sometimes shared them with us. Even then I thought they were much more interesting.

Today I look at the difference between Japanese and Okinawan Karate kata and I find the Okinawan versions to be much, much richer. Much more detail and depth.

Movement is movement, and any training is better than nothing. But some stuff is better than others, if one takes the time to learn it.
    My dad and I learned Okinawan versions at first, as I remarked. Looking back on what I can remember from being a little kid and not having done them in almost 20 years, I can see the greater depth and richness to their application. I found some videos somewhere and need to relearn them this summer.

I've got a few kata vids posted on my channel. Not much yet though. I don't have enough time to do all the filming/editing I'd like to.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqm...W2r6OmJ9FSoL3w
    Brent Yamamoto

I've got a few kata vids posted on my channel. Not much yet though. I don't have enough time to do all the filming/editing I'd like to.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqm...W2r6OmJ9FSoL3w
    I'll check it out, thanks.