Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    There are no free lunches as you said. That's the truth of it. The same holds true for fish, and then there is an increasing concern about mercury levels.

The best thing one can do is know your animal/fish, know the signs of an unhealthy one - that's pretty much all a USDA food inspector does - and reject anything suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    There are no free lunches as you said. That's the truth of it. The same holds true for fish, and then there is an increasing concern about mercury levels.

The best thing one can do is know your animal/fish, know the signs of an unhealthy one - that's pretty much all a USDA food inspector does - and reject anything suspect.
    I really do not like fish so much, but found I do like herring and it is not too expensive either while being safer than some other fishes if it comes from the right sea.
    Fish and contamination is a big issue. Mercury or Hg is of special concern to certain groups more than others so one must calculate risk accordingly. Also fish that are lower on the food chain or in others words do not live as top predators and also get your fish from safer locations are safer. I am eating a lot of herring cooked in water (Natural juice) from the Norwegian sea. Which is maybe a little safer than some other waters, but is slowly becoming more polluted. I am after the Omega 3's but know that cooking does lower these concentrations
    What is stated about the Norwegian sea
    https://www.environment.no/topics/ma...norwegian-sea/
    At present, pollution levels in the Norwegian Sea are low and seafood from the area is generally considered to be safe. Environmentally hazardous substances are largely carried to the area by winds and ocean currents, but there are also local sources of pollution. Dilution of pollutants in seawater means that pollution levels measured in the water column and on the seabed are low. Levels of radioactive substances are also generally low.
    The vendor's claims
    Polar’s Kipper and Herring are produced in a new state-of-the art “Green” cannery located in Germany. The Herring used in Polar products originate from the cold Northeast Atlantic Norwegian Sea region. The fish caught in these waters are known for high Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Polar’s Kipper Snack is naturally smoked using a variety of beach wood shavings and contains NO chemical dyes or imitation smoke flavor. It is also hand packed to ensure the delicate texture of the fillet. Polar’s Herring in Sauce are also hand packed and filled with a traditional savory sauce to complete any meal.
    Do not eat any fish packed in oils since they extract the omega 3s. You can drink that oil to get the omegas -yuk, but I prefer the fish in water that does not extract lipids and I drink the water that is in the tin anyway to make sure I am not missing anything. The added oil also add calories.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

With the advent of agriculture and the proliferation of soy, wheat, and sugar; think of how the health care industry exploded. I've heard from a few physicians that heart disease alone keeps their practice going. Take away the high-carb diet and I bet the health care industry would crash hard. I'd expect incidents of cancer and heart disease would plummet as well...

As an aside, from what I've read wild caught fish is far more healthy than farmed, just like grass-fed versus conventional.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar01 View Post
    With the advent of agriculture and the proliferation of soy, wheat, and sugar; think of how the health care industry exploded. I've heard from a few physicians that heart disease alone keeps their practice going. Take away the high-carb diet and I bet the health care industry would crash hard. I'd expect incidents of cancer and heart disease would plummet as well...

As an aside, from what I've read wild caught fish is far more healthy than farmed, just like grass-fed versus conventional.
    Often, but not always, wild caught fish are safer than farmed raised. It really depends on what they are consuming and also the environmental conditions.

I have done a little more reading and apparently fish from colder northern lakes and waters also have fish with beneficial concentrations of omega 3s.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I've read Diamonds books, several articles, and attended a seminar he gave at UCLA several years ago (paid event for tue public).

I disagree with just about everything he has to say. His book, Guns, Germs, and Steel?

Throw that shit away. Its a giant piece of rediculous nonsense, and so is most everything he has to say about most anything.

Modern day 'intellectual'.