Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Real life or just movies

I grew up watching a lot of westerns and war move's as a kid. and one of the weapon parts that was cool to me was were one of the actors would have a knife under a vest or jacket around their neck hanging from a necklace. I had always wounded if this had something to it or just movies

Hung point up as a concealment blade it has some merit. I never wore one but my daughter did to conceal in school and around town.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Best under a shirt on a shorter neck chain for both concealment and restricting its motion so it's closer to centerline and easier to access under duress. I like symmetrical grips for ambidextrous access. Symmetrical or double edged blades aren't as important but aren't a bad idea.

I wear some medium length knives as work tools, but prefer shorter for defense. I tried the gang unit as a neck knife for a while before it migrated to my belt because it's more useful there, and I prefer a thinner, lighter neck knife. I've settled on a push dagger in general and the Spyderco Ark for an exercise/hot weather blade because H1 won't rust. Neck knives need to be oiled regularly especially if you live somewhere warm and humid.

IMO, the hardest part about a neck knife is selecting one that works well in that position. When researching them for principally my female friends who can't or don't want to carry a knife in the waistband, I have found plenty of handle styles that would work well but paired with a blade that wasn't so great, or vice versa; in some cases, the blade and handle design would have worked well together if the overall length weren't too long. One's stature makes a difference too. One of my best friends was considering one, but she's 5' even, 5'1" if she's being generous with herself. She has a normal build but is simply a rather small person, and therefore most knives were too long for her to conceal effectively, much less carry comfortably.

The Internal Affairs by SI looks generally quite well-suited to the function, although I haven't picked one up to find out. Others to consider are Cold Steel's Spike series and Safemaker series (albeit rather long in OAL, so consider your torso length), the ESEE Izula/Izula II and Eskabar (sold by Kabar), or a Gang Unit. Gotta find what works well for you.

I carry a neck knife. It's slung point up on para-cord in a Kydex sheath. I wear it under an untucked polo or T shirt. Given my age, a tactic is to feint chest pains and grab and stab. Knife discussed: http://hardcorehardware.com.au/hardw...-01-bundle.php

(The link shows the knife and the blue trainer)

I have worn one around the neck while working. The best one I liked had a spring release button. It had a shorter blade- about 2 inches but was razor sharp and I called it my GOFF knife (get the f--k off yeah I know it don't spell out but sounded good). And that was what I attended it for. I tried larger knives but never found one that was as comfortable to wear. I have also worn one that way while hunting- under my coat but over my shirt.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Totally legit......especially for large combat knives
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

I wondered about neck knives but always figured that there was a big risk of cutting yourself on the draw. People more experienced than me say it is fine however, so I'm inclined to trust their opinion. Is the risk minimal with training and practice? What am I missing?
    "No matter how bizarre and extreme the teachings of the man-haters becomes, it doesn't really matter. Because when it comes right down to it, we can kill them and eat them. And they know this." -LawDog

"Don't like how I live my life? There's plenty of other people in the world. F*ck off and go bother them."
    -Glock45

Getting out of bed has a risk. So does getting into the shower. You could choke to death on your breakfast too. The risk factor with anything is simply being mindful of what you are doing. Complacency gets more people hurt than anything.

Training and practice helps with anything. Practicing drawing and using any weapon - gun or knife makes you more proficient with it - end of story.

Spartan blades makes a little double edged one that I have been carrying for a few years. It doesnt matter which hand you grab it with and the 20 cv it's made out of doesnt seem to rust.