Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    682

    Default Chopped 17 Magwell options

    Hey all,

    I have a Gen 4 17 and the grip is shortened to the 19's length. I am curious if anyone knows if the SI magazine wells would work after a modification like this. Anyone have experience with this? Much appreciated to any and all help, this forum is my first (and really only) stop for information and I wish I had kept up a little better.
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubble gum.

    I'll be your huckleberry. Doc Holiday

    Boards don't punch back. Bruce Lee

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Prescott
    Posts
    707
    you do realize this is specifically why people send us their 17 frames right? Look at the website once in awhile, we're more than just a forum
    https://suarezinternational.com/gutt...your-glock-17/
    Suarez-Gunfighter-SI-317-Black_5__86708.1554238288.jpg

    Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    556
    I've cut down a 17 to a 19 grip and installed a SI Magwell for a friend. It's not easy, took a lot of time, trying and little luck but it works.
    I also see it would be very very easy to screw up and I'm 100% certain SI knows a few secrets of the trade that results in a better end product. I can't say it's something everyone should try. Your better option is to buy a new frame and send it to SI and have them do it.
    The frame I chopped. Works now, seems secure, but who know for how Long.
    Lastly, this is not the original frame to this pistol, it was a stripped frame purchased for $50 that he was ok with tossing in the trash of it didn't work out.
    Resized_20190404_230149.jpg
    Last edited by psalms23dad; 06-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

    “Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    682

    Default Chopped 17 Magwell options

    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    you do realize this is specifically why people send us their 17 frames right? Look at the website once in awhile, we're more than just a forum
    https://suarezinternational.com/gutt...your-glock-17/
    Suarez-Gunfighter-SI-317-Black_5__86708.1554238288.jpg
    Thanks ShopMonkey, I do look at the site often. I just wasn’t sure if the magwell was good to go on a chopped frame without more modifications or not. Unfortunately mine was cut before SI mag wells were a thing and it is tempting to look at a new frame and to have it done by you guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 06-09-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubble gum.

    I'll be your huckleberry. Doc Holiday

    Boards don't punch back. Bruce Lee

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    I've cut down a 17 to a 19 grip and installed a SI Magwell for a friend. It's not easy, took a lot of time, trying and little luck but it works.
    I also see it would be very very easy to screw up and I'm 100% certain SI knows a few secrets of the trade that results in a better end product. I can't say it's something everyone should try. Your better option is to buy a new frame and send it to SI and have them do it.
    The frame I chopped. Works now, seems secure, but who know for how Long.
    Lastly, this is not the original frame to this pistol, it was a stripped frame purchased for $50 that he was ok with tossing in the trash of it didn't work out.
    Resized_20190404_230149.jpg
    Totally hear you and agree. I am strongly considering getting a new frame to send off to SI to have all the work done properly. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubble gum.

    I'll be your huckleberry. Doc Holiday

    Boards don't punch back. Bruce Lee

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Totally hear you and agree. I am strongly considering getting a new frame to send off to SI to have all the work done properly. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For what's it's worth, I think the Magwell is a great item. I have it on mine and would recommend them to anyone. It helped my reloads a lot.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

    “Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    44,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Hey all,

    I have a Gen 4 17 and the grip is shortened to the 19's length. I am curious if anyone knows if the SI magazine wells would work after a modification like this. Anyone have experience with this? Much appreciated to any and all help, this forum is my first (and really only) stop for information and I wish I had kept up a little better.
    Send it to us to do correctly. All my carry guns are done this way and I have not carried a full sized G17 in a year. Guttersnipe is the ultimate carry gun. Send it and we will install this item properly...like it was made for it.
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    5,453
    Here’s an example of Shopmonkey’s work.

    852DED5C-85A3-4BA2-A711-D27C066B7FFE.jpg

    Send it in. You won’t regret it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

    Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

    Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

    Upcoming classes:

    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    682
    Thanks everyone, the work done by SI is certainly top tier. If it is possible to have the work done on my frame (hoping it wasn’t cut to short etc.) then I may just have a full guttersnipe job done to it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubble gum.

    I'll be your huckleberry. Doc Holiday

    Boards don't punch back. Bruce Lee

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    25
    With the guttersnipe and mag well, are Glock 19 mags used or do you use Glock 17 mags?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •