Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adjusting for Weak Eye

This question will apply to all areas of fighting but manifests most significantly in hand-to-hand, so I've posed it here. The question is this: How does one adjust to/work around/compensate for a severely weak eye, especially when the other is quite strong?

The context, with a few more details of what drives the question: I am right-eye dominant, right-hand dominant. I need to develop dexterity with my left side overall, both in hand-to-hand striking and kicking and with weapons. I have begun doing so, but I have run into a serious hiccup: I only see 20/100, with correction, out of my left eye, and without correction I see 20/200 (used to be blind, and the Lord having blessed certain people with great medical skill, therapy exercises plus surgery brought it up to there from 20/400, a/k/a blind). This makes placing kicks with my left side more difficult, especially with the lead leg, as well as jabs; I can aim quite well when looking at the bag/opponent with both eyes (functionally, just my right eye), but my aim goes to crap once my hips rotate through the kick/strike sufficiently that I can only see the bag with my left eye. Nothing outside of half an arm's reach away is even remotely in focus, and on top of that, I am farsighted with an astigmatism.

I have run into the same issue while working TKD forms and pistol katas. The problem is especially apparent with pistol katas, as while I only need "meat and metal" to aim while moving to the 2 o'clock in Diagonal Lines, it's hard to do when I am driving the pistol with my right hand principally but need to use my left eye to help complete the sight picture (not using the sights themselves necessarily, but you get what I mean). The apparent angle looks markedly different and throws me for a loop. (One reason using a two-gun setup and drawing w/ the left while moving to 2 o'clock or 4/5 o'clock wouldn't work for me, extremely limited waist real estate aside: I cannot aim with my left eye, at all.)

Does anyone else have a similar issue or at least know of some ways to work around that? I am confident in my ability to place shots, kicks, or strikes on target with my left, but I want to do so in the deadliest way possible, on demand. Thoughts?

ETA: I know this may be as simple as, "Lots of reps and figure it out," but I can't figure out what thing (if anything at all) I may need to add in or throw out to help myself out here. If anyone has potential ideas but would need to see what I'm doing to comment further, I have video of bag work that I can share, though none of pistol work.
    Last edited by Faramir2; 06-05-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Additional thought

My first thought:

5F04ED56-1DF0-4D4D-A153-521D5BC40277.jpg

There are times when equipment is the best fix for individual handicaps.

Will think on this more after work
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

That's an interesting problem. My initial thought is that one of the biggest things of all fighting is spacial awareness or in other words where you are in the world of the fight. While impaired vision puts a person at a disadvantage, perfect vision only aids in the refinement of aim and distance relationship. The fortunately in bad breath distance, other than in weapon retention, distance for a reactive fight has more to do with feel than it does vision. Based on your OP, I would actually give you the reverse advise than I would someone with good vision, you'll need more time with live fire and/or airsoft on cardboard because since you can't see the hits you need some way to record the results. As the results increase you will begin to feel what it's like to be on target through your draw and presentation.

Because you can't rely as much on vision you need to spend time on the repetition of the feel till it's natural and repeatable. I've been doing this long enough that if it feels right I already know I'm going to make hits with little to no visual conformation, if it feels wrong it takes me longer to shoot because I need visual representation/conformation. Since this is impaired in your case the feel is going to need to become primary. This used to be known as Index Shooting, using physical indicators to ensure your marksmanship.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 06-05-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Thanks, both, for your initial suggestions. Brent, I actually hadn't thought of adding a laser to my pistol, but that's not a bad idea for a visual confirmation tool. I have tended to denigrate lasers in the past, principally because folks I would talk to wanted to use them in place of learning to shoot well with irons or even a red dot ("Jes steeick th' lay-zer on th' targit 'n' bayng" type folks), but Gabe's recent work on lasers has made me rethink that a bit with regard to shooters who already have developed solid skills with irons/dot. Something like that might be a good addition for me.

Greg, your suggestions make sense; I'll add in some airsoft on cardboard work, since I can do that in my backyard and doesn't require as much coin, and do live fire a little more often as well. Seems like a good way to develop skill with weak side off-hand shooting, which I need. This will be another aspect of calling the shot, just at times without using the actual sights.

The issues with lasers:
    * Quality (or lack thereof) - simple, spend the $ on a good one
    * Method of operation - most lasers on the market require two handed operation. For this application it must be one-handed.
    * Method of employment - most guys use the laser as a crutch, trying to overcome lack if skill development with equipment. But just because people employ a crescent wrench like a hammer doesn’t make the crescent a bad tool, they are just applying it to the wrong problem.

Lasers have their place and employed in the right way can enhance our fighting ability.

Greg’s suggestion is spot on. Building that muscle feeling for correct alignment. Using airsoft is good. I was also going to suggest a SIRT pistol for training to essentially do the same thing, but I think in your case I would spend the money on the Crimson Trace above. It has the same utility for training but you can actually use it in the real world.

Of course holsters are an issue. I know Gabe was working with a guy on a holster to fit it (I have one) but not sure if they are in the store.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

And you can always close your left eye. There may be times where that’s appropriate.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Crimson Trace would be my first go-to for a laser, as it is one of the only quality ones out there that permits one-handed operation. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea, though that will need some budgeting and time before I can reasonably spend the money on it (danged law school expenses...).

The holster problem will also require some research, as I am one of those guys who ditched his Glock 19 for an HK VP9; I love my VP9 and run it well, but I have begun to wish recently that I had just kept the Glock, practiced with it a ton, and slowly upgraded it, instead of selling it. Live and learn, I guess. Doesn't help to be 21 and a little impatient with skill development, either.

Thanks again, both of you, for the suggestions. My soon-to-be-lack-of income being what it will be in a couple months, I will probably stick to researching the gear ideas and definitely will focus heavily on building solid muscle memory. It's already pretty decent for basic draw and movement when relying on my right side, but the left will get some more attention, moving forward.

Nice thing, too, is that my right eye's acuity is around 20/15, so I've got a good cornerstone for building the fundamentals with relative ease; now it's just about strengthening the other side effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

Greg’s suggestion is spot on. Building that muscle feeling for correct alignment. Using airsoft is good. I was also going to suggest a SIRT pistol for training to essentially do the same thing, but I think in your case I would spend the money on the Crimson Trace above. It has the same utility for training but you can actually use it in the real world.
    I thought about that but with the vision issue I didn't think it would work as he may not be able to verify the hit of the laser on target while moving but can walk over to the target after words and see the airsoft dent or not for feedback on the hits/misses.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I thought about that but with the vision issue I didn't think it would work as he may not be able to verify the hit of the laser on target while moving but can walk over to the target after words and see the airsoft dent or not for feedback on the hits/misses.
    While I didn't enjoy this particular drill of vision therapy, I did one exercise where I pointed at differently colored and numbered cards stuck to a door, using a pointer from about three to ten feet away, so being able to distinguish different items and colors at a distance was strengthened in that eye, fortunately. Still, I'm not sure how precisely my left eye would pick up a laser, such that I could get a decent sense of exact point of impact.

Which just gave me an idea, actually: I might see if I can attach a laser pointer to my pistol and make it into a makeshift SIRT pistol, for the purpose of practicing picking up the laser dynamically with my left eye, while moving to either of the rightward angles; might work as an interim tool for a limited training purpose while saving for a rail-mounted laser and new holster to accommodate.