Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC Gear

Default NYC Gear

Was in NYC/Brooklyn over the weekend for a wedding.

This was the EDC for the trip.

Reppin’ SI behind the East Coast Curtain!

5F08B2F9-9AF6-40A5-B74A-0EA249BFA580.jpg
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Marco,

Nice EDC, You were ready for anything, especially for behind the Iron Curtain. You were representing SI with aplomb and sophistication. Concealed means concealed, and am glad the STASI was oblivious to the exercise of your right as a free man.
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

I concur.

Well done, sir.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Not to derail the thread but do you really trust a liner lock knife? I know that Emerson is a popular brand and very well made but the liner lock is a very weak and flawed design imo.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Capt. Shack: To be fair, as a retired cop I can “legally” carry in NYC. But of course their local rules severely limit magazine capacity and other things, hence the 43 instead of my usual 19. And the number of businesses I saw in Brooklyn with “No Firearms Allowed” signs was surprising, considering how restrictive/exclusive their CCW’s are. (As stated, concealed meant concealed.)

When I checked the weapon per airline regulations flying home from JFK, Port Authority Police AND TSA had to inspect it. The two PA cops were easy-going about it and there was no hassle. One of them was pretty interested in the RMS on my 43. But JFK and La Guardia are the only airports where I have experienced this extra layer of scrutiny. I usually fly in/out of Newark and have never had any interactions with the local constabulary, just the standard TSA screening. (The S.O. I retired from issues a yearly LEOSA-qualified letter every year, in addition to our I.D. Cards. I started putting a photocopy of the letter in the locked transport case when I fly to ensure “smooth transitions.”)

I took the Choir Boy on my person/through security at SFO and JFK with no issues.

Psalms23Dad: As far as the Emerson, I’ve never had a problem with their liner locks. I’ve carried/used them for about 20 years. Started with a CQC7, then went to a Super Commander, now the CQC15 for the last several years. I’ve used them pretty hard on duty/off; to include prying open windows, popping door locks, cutting people out of seatbelts in wrecks, cutting a rape/kidnap victim out of some duct tape, plus all the “usual” stuff. There are some other “quality” brands whose liner locks I would not trust in the same manner, but I do like/trust my Emerson.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

That's a nice loadout.

FYI, local LEOs are allowed magazines over 10 rounds - I'm not sure if it applies to LEOSA carry or not, but your full capacity G19 mags may have been good to go. I don't think I've ever seen a "no guns allowed" sign in NY, so that's interesting.

My "upstate" full carry permit is no good in the five boros, but I have carries a Choir Boy with me all over NYC and through many an airport screening without issue. The law just changed within the last week re-defining a "gravity knife" to no longer make pretty much every locking folder illegal in NYC. I'll be retiring my friction-lock folders purchased special for NYC visits and carrying my usual EDC knife going forward. Even with the new law, however, the knife must be 100% hidden - no pocket clips visible. I clip a Surefire Stiletto to my pocket and have never been stopped by a cop thinking it was a knife, but I'm sure it will happen eventually and make for an interesting story.

I'm going into the city less and less these days...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Not to derail the thread but do you really trust a liner lock knife? I know that Emerson is a popular brand and very well made but the liner lock is a very weak and flawed design imo.
    What other locking mechanism do you consider to better
    than a liner lock?

My standard EDC shown below.

zt0300_dw_660.jpg

John
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 06-04-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Get a ZT Emerson!

Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post
    That's a nice loadout.

FYI, local LEOs are allowed magazines over 10 rounds - I'm not sure if it applies to LEOSA carry or not, but your full capacity G19 mags may have been good to go. I don't think I've ever seen a "no guns allowed" sign in NY, so that's interesting.

My "upstate" full carry permit is no good in the five boros, but I have carries a Choir Boy with me all over NYC and through many an airport screening without issue. The law just changed within the last week re-defining a "gravity knife" to no longer make pretty much every locking folder illegal in NYC. I'll be retiring my friction-lock folders purchased special for NYC visits and carrying my usual EDC knife going forward. Even with the new law, however, the knife must be 100% hidden - no pocket clips visible. I clip a Surefire Stiletto to my pocket and have never been stopped by a cop thinking it was a knife, but I'm sure it will happen eventually and make for an interesting story.

I'm going into the city less and less these days...
    I considered NYC's prior "interpretation" of NYS's "gravity blade" restriction as a farce, given that NYC's own Administrative Code does not prohibit concealed FB's (subject to blade length restriction for carry).

Did NYS amend the subject act, or repeal and replace with a new section?

Jeeselp: The way I read the laws, active LEO’s are GTG with standard gear/magazines, but us retired cops are restricted to their current BS regs.

I know there are challenges going through the NY courts sand likely heading to SCOTUS, but sine I was with the wife I just wasn’t interested in pushing the envelope.

Funny because the Port Authority cops at JFK mentioned that I even had the “retired guys magazines.”

And that is such garbage that an NY state CCW is not honored in NYC.

San Francisco has tried doing that in CA, and even tried get active cops to have to swap out their duty mags for 10-rounders when they went off duty. So far they have been unsuccessful.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting