Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bit much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1976 View Post
    This guy claims he was a cop.
    THAT unfortunately has as much gravitas as saying you are a "black belt", or that you were "in the army".

When I hear someone use their current or past police status as a cred, I would ask...doing what exactly? Ten years working graveyard in a Mayberry is not the same as in Newton, Firestone, or East L.A. As well, what sort of assignment...how many gunfights...alone? Nobody who uses 'Police" as a cred wants to discuss that and claims that doing so is somehow wrong. Bullshit. You want to use Cop Status for creds, tell us what you did...tell us how many bad guys you put in the ground...otherwise, that is just like the guys claiming a black belt in McDojo-Ryu makes him a deadly unarmed killer.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by ltnotbob View Post
    Couldn't get past 1:35. . . Stood over the body, but never kicked the shooters weapon(s) away. Also, depending on motive, BG could be strapped with IED. Standing over him or kneeling next to him (with no cover) - bad idea. No proactive reload. What a Cluster F*ck.
    The entire thing is asinine. The basis of the scenario is to set up to try and justify the craziness of how someone would end up standing over the dead bad guy and getting shot by another good guy. From there it wants people to immediately holster and kneel with their hands up totally ignoring all other possibilities of a fight.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Gabe wrote:

THAT unfortunately has as much gravitas as saying you are a "black belt", or that you were "in the army".

When I hear someone use their current or past police status as a cred, I would ask...doing what exactly? Ten years working graveyard in a Mayberry is not the same as in Newton, Firestone, or East L.A. As well, what sort of assignment...how many gunfights...alone? Nobody who uses 'Police" as a cred wants to discuss that and claims that doing so is somehow wrong. Bullshit. You want to use Cop Status for creds, tell us what you did...tell us how many bad guys you put in the ground...otherwise, that is just like the guys claiming a black belt in McDojo-Ryu makes him a deadly unarmed killer.
    True. For all we know, he may have worked a desk job. There was a lot of this going on in the ninjutsu scene in the 80's. I lucked out to find instructors who were the real deal and the training was brutal! But some of the instructors were rubbers. One guy (who was one of the higher ranked or more popular instructors) bragged about how he was "with the special forces - a Green Beret group". Well yeah, sure. He was the fucking flight surgeon they hired to fly around with them in case they needed surgery. His actual military/combat training? Zilch.

We did meet some Mossad and SF guys who were legit (a LRRP, a few Army Rangers, one Seal, an actual Green Beret, etc), and they laughed their asses off when talking about this guy. One of them told me: "If he's a Green Beret, I'm Mary Fucking Poppins! His ass wouldn't have survived day one of our training, much less passed the course!". They mockingly referred to his knife fighting book as: "How To Get Yourself Killed In A Knife Fight". We had a lot of fun nights sitting around the campfire bandaging ourselves up from training and making jokes about "Green Beret Kelly".
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    The entire thing is asinine. The basis of the scenario is to set up to try and justify the craziness of how someone would end up standing over the dead bad guy and getting shot by another good guy. From there it wants people to immediately holster and kneel with their hands up totally ignoring all other possibilities of a fight.
    Yeah. Like where are the other guys?

And I'm not getting down on my knees unless ordered to by responding LE. 'Cause it hurts.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

354. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Yeah. Like where are the other guys?

And I'm not getting down on my knees unless ordered to by responding LE. 'Cause it hurts.
    No joke. Flow like water? Nah this guy wants you to flow like a cow pie and plop down where ever you happen to be standing. Gain a position of advantage? Nah root yourself out in the open exposed to any number of threats like IEDs, the bad guys friends and don't worry about an the after action assessment to check your surrounding, check yourself for injuries, top off the blaster or even see if there are any innocents that needs help while moving to cover and planning the next move. If I remember right when the cops found the Aurora theater shooter he was sitting on the ground not doing anything and I am sure there are plenty of other instances of the bad guys doing the same or trying to blend in with the victims. There is nothing reasonable about immediately kneeling and putting your hands up without any other stimuli like seeing or hearing cops flood the area and even then I would want distance between the bad guy and me.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

Yep and they should be able to show you the "No-Bill" from grand jury and reports from events, citations for awards, and other things if they are going to rely on "Cop Cred" . Though I have found most cops that are tuned to this stuff will usually refer to them as "Did your Job" awards, or hunting trophies depending on the audience.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time