Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NEVER TAKING THE HAMMER OUT OF THE TOOLBOX

I read aTMA Blog Post yesterday where the person being interviewed expressed his disappointment at the Karate World increasingly seeing every technique as some form of attack. And felt that the more violent techniques being taught does not fit into the need of Civilian Self Defence and will get the user into legal trouble.

He suggested that people should instead be concentrating more on defence-Uke. Explaining that the focus of his training is based on not getting hit and that he considers it a win when it happens.

This quickly delved into a discussion of the deeper meaning of Uke-You don`t actually Block/Counter an attack, you receive it and and then stop it. And once you have learned to receive the physical techniques you can then learn to read the attacker, receive his intent before the attack starts and then defuse the situation verbally-Distracting/Confusing him.

Wanting to do as little as possible so there is less of a chance for things to go wrong.

I get the interviewee`s concern of just learning how to main/kill your attacker-Only able to access the Lethal Force is Justified Box on the Flowchart-Without having a clear understanding of each of the preceding steps. And not having the training/skill to deal with each of these steps correctly-Making the right decision and using the appropriate amount of force for each step.

Only having the proverbial Hammer in your toolbox.

But if you won`t allow yourself to even consider moving past the first box-Refusing to admit to yourself that you are the Focus of the Violence/An Attack is already on the Way during an assault-Never willing to pull the Hammer out of the toolbox-You are as ill-prepared to handle the situation correctly. Unable to make the right decisions under pressure and the apply the appropriate amount of force.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

That sort of thinking pervades the martial arts world.

Sounds like he fails to understand the difference between tactics and techniques.
    But I'll say that some guys just have an ability to read their opponents timing, almost to the point it's gift many will never get, they can make things work using this gift that others would never be able to make work. I think this is why you have to, as some point, personalize your journey.
    Find out what is a high percentage technique for you, not what's high percentage for your Sensei or fellow students.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Having been in real karate (old school) training since ten years old, fighting full contact, and delving into at least a dozen other martial systems. And then fighting bad guys for real on the street, I will say this.

Maiming and killing with the bare hands is not as simple or as easy as these people will have you believe. Softening what is already a difficult matter is a step in the wrong direction. Karate must be made harder so the karateka is more dangerous...not the other way around.

My best UKE was a preemptive low roundhouse kick to the lower leg as hard as I could.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Today with all the training information available especially on-line Karateka cannot plead ignorance anymore and blame the Instructor/Style if their Karate did not work.

I was able to read two polar opposite viewpoints on the meaning of UKE yesterday. I could either have chosen to continue along the same path, Gabe words confirming to me what I already know and believe my Karate should be/Decide that my thinking on the subject had being wrong all this time and completely change the way I look at Self-Defence and the way I train.

But once I make my choice I need to live with my decision and take the consequences that comes with that decicion.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

That sort of thinking will make an already marginally effective art into next to useless.

Quote Originally Posted by mross View Post
    That sort of thinking will make an already marginally effective art into next to useless.
    I hope we aren't suggesting that karate as a whole is a "marginally effective art". There are plenty of marginally effective things in the martial sciences. Even BJJ, JKD, or Kali taught by a some softie "peaceful warrior" type will be marginal at the outset...but correctly trained true karate by someone who isn't into sports or bullshit, is a very dangerous thing indeed.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I hope we aren't suggesting that karate as a whole is a "marginally effective art". There are plenty of marginally effective things in the martial sciences. Even BJJ, JKD, or Kali taught by a some softie "peaceful warrior" type will be marginal at the outset...but correctly trained true karate by someone who isn't into sports or bullshit, is a very dangerous thing indeed.
    Gabe, to a degree I am suggesting just that, your last sentence is the kicker. Most of the karate at least where I live is of the McDojo variety that seems to be designed more to separate parents from their money then teach anything effective. I can count on one hand the places in my area that are effective. If you talk to the parents they sign up for for the 10 week try out class and maybe continue on. If they stay in all seem to earn their black belt by about 2 years. I have seen some of these kids spar and some fight. Not pretty.

So lets make a very clear distinction then. Painting all Karate with the popular culture brush of Karate Kid is like looking at fatso Taran Butler and then saying that what we do is the same as what he does because they both involve pistols. McDojo bullshit is not Karate...no matter what they call it.

Real karate is a very dangerous world that involves hitting hard and getting hit in just as hard a manner as what you see in a typical UFC fight. And yes...there is ground fighting there even if getting to the ground is not the end goal. Back in the old days, I used karate on the street against real non-compliant bad guys regularly. I have choked and knocked out and broken bones on dozens more bad guys as I have shot. You won't see McDojo, nor Soccer Mom Krav do that.

So lets be clear about that and eschew the broad brush. You want to see real karate...the old karate...come and have a look at Brent Yamamoto or myself.
    Gabriel Suarez

And I'm not hanging around to "receive" an attack from either of you.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28