Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYC Gear

With all due respect, you're a retired LEO had the appropriate credentials; question is, if you were not, would that still be what you took to the city as plain Joe citizen?

Henri: Good question. I’m not totally familiar with NY state law and NYC-specific laws/ordinances, but have done some research on them.

I’m quite sure that NY/NYC has city laws separate from the concurrent state laws for unlawfully carrying a concealed firearm, with separate enhancements for it being loaded. Plus separate statutory violation(s) for carrying magazines that violate their state law(s) on capacity.

I’m confident that the District Attorney of whatever NYC borough you were arrested in would charge every possible violation they could both state and city, and stack the consequences to the fullest. (I spent a little time with the Head of the Manhattan D.A.’s office when she was visiting my city and also did some cases/wrote some out-of-state Search Warrants for their office when I was still working. They are very serious/letter-of-the law about firearms violations.) I’m pretty sure they would also to try to charge you in such a way to prevent you from owning firearms in the future.

So I would have to decide how much exposure I would be willing to risk/how many charges I would want to fight if I got caught, and the totality of the consequences if I lost in court.

I’m usually an all or nothing kind of person, so if I was going into NYC “under and dark,” without CCW privileges to lose in the first place, I would probably go a little heavier.

As a retired LEO, I was not willing to risk losing my credentials and National CCW “privilege” from my certifying agency over just their magazine capacity statute.

In the end, it comes down to your own level of risk tolerance.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

I’m not sure if this is still true, but I remember hearing from a friend in the NYPD that back in the ‘80s if you were caught in Manhattan with drugs, you were likely to get off with a slap on the wrist - but if you were caught with a gun, they’d throw the book at you. Conversely, in the outer boroughs if you were caught with drugs, you’d do time, but gun charges were unlikely to be serious.

Manhattan jury pools all knew someone with a weed or coke habit, but didn’t know anyone who had a gun. Outer boroughs jury pools considered drugs to be destroying their communities, but - due to the drug violence - totally understood why an otherwise law-abiding person would choose to ignore the draconian NYC gun regulations.

Appreciate your response, PM sent.