Thread: MIND KATA

Default MIND KATA

We discussed this in the past and I want to focus on it more. I think by now, Brent and I have established the value of Kata in developing the desired responses in a fight. They are a way to hard wire responses to action based on human movement that allow us to respond without the need for conscious thought. As well, they help to ingrain memorized patterns of movement and a physical agility that is impossible to attain by only hitting a bag...or "sparring". Anyone that had seen Brent move will understand.

But is the concept limited there? I am thinking it is not. If we can use physical responses ingrained through Kata work in a confrontation, could we not use the same concept to establish thought patterns to quickly flow thorough non-physical problems and arrive at solutions?

Some Mind Kata are more involved, like the Deadly Force Flowchart. But others can be easier for more low complexity problems.

While this concept could be applied to virtually anything, to maintaining familial peace, diffusing arguments, and even solving technical non-combat problems, we can certainly identify applications that fit in our martial world view.

So lets identify the mini kata contained in the mega kata identified by the flow chart. There are at least four that I can find. Your turn.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Posting for reference...
    Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Here's one I see, not formatted as a flow chart. "Justification" is the overarching principle. Read the chart. See how often "justified" appears?

So, initially, when you risk death or serious injury, it should not be because you are committing a crime or, by extension, behaving stupidly.

In other words, your criminal behavior or intentional stupid acts will not justify your use of deadly force.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-01-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

360. And a wakeup.

Navigating the flowchart is an exercise in applying preclusionary thought to your advantage. Societal, familial, employment and duty-related preclusion greatly empower the articulate warrior.

Perhaps this will help...perhaps: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...l-Acquiescence

I’ve been teaching the LE version of the KWTL to incident commanders now for quite a while and once preclusionary articulation is applied to the situation tremendous reasonableness and justification is the resultant.

Something to ponder.

Indeed. And I think we can take this much farther. The development of mental concepts we built in the fire, but in a trainable way. I am not sure of the "how" yet, but I think this is a realm of study that fits in the "stealing fire" category of things.
    Gabriel Suarez

These things overlap, but one thought I have...

I always think in terms of IMOP:
    *Intent
    *Means
    *Opportunity
    *Preclusion

The way I’m looking at it, all 4 of those could be wrapped into the box on “clear, articulable perception of events”.

I know the flowchart is organized differently, but I think they can be packed within the one box.

Even if not everything is clear, you KNOW when you are in the midst of an assault (assuming you’re not knocked out/dead immediately). You may not understand what is happening, but IMOP is pretty obvious when you feel the damage you're taking.

Bad guy demonstrates intent by telling you or by his actions. He demonstrates the means by his build or movement and/or a weapon display. He demonstrates the opportunity as long as he has a clear path to you. And all of those are obvious in one bite of information, if the information is a knife sliding between your ribs or a gun being pointed in at you.

Preclusion can be a bit more involved but when you feel damage it checks that box.

I had a debate once with a couple lawyers about IMOP. They pretty strongly disagreed. Their minds were stuck in the courtroom battle. I was making the point that I was discussing the mental kata of PRE-physical battle - IMOP is a useful model of thought, indeed the definition of a mental kata. You think in those terms and it becomes a checklist you can ingrain in your head, the grooves in the brain Jonathan discussed. And it is a quick decision tool that can be applied as events are taking place.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I think of IMOP as a “mini kata” because it’s so concise and fast. But it’s macro as well...I think perhaps it includes everything in the flowchart other than demonstrating “standing” (basically the legal term for “you are not committing a crime”).

I’m sure I am butchering standing but that’s my quick and dirty, lay person description of it.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Indeed. And I think we can take this much farther. The development of mental concepts we built in the fire, but in a trainable way. I am not sure of the "how" yet, but I think this is a realm of study that fits in the "stealing fire" category of things.
    For how to do it in a trainable way I’d recommend the “Contextualized Force-on-Force and Subconscious Self-Talk” training I discussed with Brent. Subconscious realization of flowchart position and preclusion has been getting our guys to the gun much faster - with necessary articulable reasonableness for the No True Bill clearance.

The battle is won before the hand goes for the gun.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 06-01-2019 at 02:45 PM.

In the "articulable perception" box I see a little micro-statement kata: What did I see? What did I think was happening? What reasonable action did I take?

Kata...the physical ones, were designed around patterns of human movement. You cannot predict an exact attack, but you can generalize based on the fact that we have the same bodies as our adversaries. Couple physical dynamics (two arms, two legs, etc.) with the nature of intent, and you can develop some very practical theories on how an attacker will culminate his will toward the attack. With that in mind, Kata established some natural and mindless defense patterns.

And they work quite well as both Brent and I can attest. That some do not not like Kata simply means they do not understand it and never learned it correctly. Kinda like an illiterate not liking books because he cannot read them.

As applied to our current discussion, the mental aspects of the before as well as the after, we can establish the natural flow of and precursors to an attack...as well as the natural flow and components of the events afterwards. Nothing will ever be exactly as you have planned, but there will be some very close lines of flow in all of them. When looking at my gunfights...and fist fights in this light, I can point to some very clear patterns of development and similar chain of events. Similarly with the post action investigations.
    Gabriel Suarez