Default The prevailing theory, your guide to a flexible truth

The prevailing theory, your guide to the current truth.

The backstory here is that Psych Evaluations are part and parcel of selection for many fields, sometimes multiple ones in a career. One such Evaluation helped me stumble onto a mindset that has helped me immensely to stay “Fluid” over the years.
    During such evaluations you are generally given a variation of the MMPI II , a personality profile of some type, and then some “seat time” with the Shrink to discuss findings and “feel you out”
    In this case I was having a bit of snarky fun with the “fill in the blank” portion of the profile as the Shrink had given me a #2 pencil to complete all these tasks. I still remember some of the questions and answers. This is the snarky one of those I remember.

“The three things I would like to have are _____________.______________,_____________”

I answered : Health for my wife, Wealth, and either a sharper pencil or the pen I would have preferred to use.

The pencil was getting pretty dull after filling in so many bubble boxes.

The question that changed things for me was simple, and at the same time profound. The discussion afterwards with the Shrink crystalized the concept for me. The question?

“When I don’t know what to do I ____________________”

I answered: I follow the prevailing theory.

Afterwards, during the discussion portion the Shrink asked me about this answer, to explain what I meant by it, and I described it in this manner:

There are many things that we believe to be immutable, sometimes we call these things laws, such as the Law of Gravity. They are merely prevailing theories.

Once the earth was the center of the universe and everything rotated around it, it was known and law until is wasn’t.
    Then the sun rotated the Earth until it didn’t.
    The Earth was flat until is wasn’t. Man could never go faster than a running horse because his lungs would explode from pressure differential, man would never fly, visit the moon, send objects beyond the solar system, and a myriad of other things that were “Known” and “Law”…… until they weren’t.

Understanding this places them in their proper place and perspective of “prevailing theory”. This doesn’t mean I’m going to jump off a building because the Law of Gravity might be dis-proven at some point, but it does mean I understand that it might be possible at some time in the future or that can impact it such as with the addition of a parachute. With this understanding I follow the prevailing theory knowing, and open to the fact that it might change.

For what its worth I ‘Passed” the evaluation.

More important than that, it crystalized something I understood intrinsically but not consciously until that time.

This understanding can help in so many areas.

Think of how many things, Strategic, Tactical, Business, Love, Etc. fall under this “influence”

After all, when we are finding a mate, solving a problem during a tactical entry, making a micro statement after trigger time, or driving to work, we are trying to influence the world to accept and follow OUR prevailing theory. Ours isn’t law, just as theirs isn’t, and if we can accept that concept, it gives us the flexibility to adjust ours until it IS accepted by them. We aren’t locked into anything.

Don’t be locked in, test the bounds, challenge what is “known”, we do that here at WT daily.

But don’t jump off a building (unless youre base jumping), the prevailing theory of gravity is still the best thing we have to work with ;)
    Last edited by coastalcop; 05-30-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Excellent.

Everything is a work in progress and we act given the best info we have at the time.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

I really like this way of thinking. Thank you.

Excellent. This is the sort of thoughts we need here and which are not found elsewhere.

To expand. Everyone falls into paradigm comfort zones and they have their expectations of what is and what the "answer" will be. When you understand this, you have a great deal of control because you can placate some with a continuation of their paradigm, or take them by surprise with something outside their expectations. This is a very deep subject which involves the ability to read others, and anticipate their expectations based on what you know about them and their back ground and training, as well as how you and your plans either fit into their world...and if they do not, can they be made to seem like they do.

This was once called Ninja Shit. Not a bad definition.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Excellent post. Questioning what is assumed to be true is what creates innovation in any field. It's why we've accomplished so much here at SI. However, you don't want to be that person who disagrees with the prevailing theory just to feel special or enlightened. That's being as blind as people who follow it without question. You need to put in the thought and work to see if the prevailing theory is true, and if it isn't, find an alternative that works better.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Sounds very much like the study of ecstasis. Few have every heard of it, even fewer believe it, even less practice it. It coincides very well with what is being discussed here. It does seem to be driving the very heart of superman like performance. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mross View Post
    Sounds very much like the study of ecstasis. Few have every heard of it, even fewer believe it, even less practice it. It coincides very well with what is being discussed here. It does seem to be driving the very heart of superman like performance. Good stuff.
    Stealing Fire

Dismiss the LSD, Namaste crap and you have some interesting material. The bottom line is that nothing is impossible. Live that story, refuse to accept the social/cultural limits others try to impose on you, and yu tend to discover more easily, as well as develop into what you want to be...more easily as well.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Amazing things are possible through decisions and discipline.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Stealing Fire

Dismiss the LSD, Namaste crap and you have some interesting material. The bottom line is that nothing is impossible. Live that story, refuse to accept the social/cultural limits others try to impose on you, and yu tend to discover more easily, as well as develop into what you want to be...more easily as well.
    Exactly. One interesting note is the research indicates groups help you get there faster and more reliably. Kudos for this topic section.