Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WRITING CONTEST WINNERS

I am thoroughly impressed gents. This is the quality of material that WT strives for. And I hope to repeat this every few months. The ability to express and articulate in an educated manner is the mark of the gentleman warrior.

My reasons are simple...it is easier to teach and discuss with educated and articulate men that with those who express themselves in grunts. Moreover, what should be a motivation to all of you is the fact of life that to be successful in life, and all the things that surround it, the ability to express yourself as you wish to be seen is paramount to success. A man who is a gifted and talented professional will never attain his greatest achievement if he cannot explain what he does and why to a group of neophytes with money. And more in line with this "mysterious fraternity", a man asked "what happened" after a lethal confrontation will have his life altered for the worse if he cannot convey what he saw and felt in a compelling way so that those in authority inquiring agree with the justification of his actions.

So this was fun, and I hope educational to many of you. Let's keep the movement going.

I judged the essays by content, originality, style, word choices, and (we hate to do it - but) grammar. It was not easy to choose and it took some time.

First Place - Manipulating Perception And Reality - By coastalcop

Second Place - The XO And Her Handbag - By M48shooter

Third Place - Plan Your Dive, Dive Your Plan - By jesselp

Close Runner Up and a compelling piece - Should There be Any Gun Laws by - veritas16

All entrants will get a Suarez Hat and a 10% discount to shop at the store.

Congratulations brothers
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Congratulations all!

This was a great idea and I look forward to more.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Nice work to all. Congrats!
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I echo the compliments and enjoyment. I hope to have more content to contribute to a future contest myself; I considered entering but decided I didn't have anything of real substance to say, at this point.

Funny, in reading the entries, I guessed the winners correctly. That was fun to observe; I'd love to see another contest soon.

I will tell you that writing and speaking are things that need to be exercised. To not do so is like not going to the gym, or the dojo, or the range because you don't feel like it. Thinking like every other thing we do must be exercised regularly. And there is no better way to organize thought than to write. I have never met a good speaker that was not also a great writer. If you stop going to the gym, your body will get sick, fat, and weak. If you stop attending the dojo, your skills will fade. And if you stop writing, your ability to organize thoughts and express with eloquence will also wither and die. Unless it is something you do on a regular basis as a job (police officer, pastor, teacher, etc.), it needs to be exercised. The more you do it, the better you get.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Agreed, entirely. I suppose my reticence to write much when I decided I had little of substance to say stems in part from my realization that I am young, inexperienced, and needful of further thinking on the sorts of things relevant to the discussions held in this forum. I certainly see the importance of practice speaking and writing to build those skills, as I am a civil litigation paralegal who moonlights as a high school debate coach, and indeed, I love to read, write, and speak and do so regularly; the last twelve years of competing and later coaching have taught me to keep silent more often than I might have at other times of my life, being a risk-averse person, who prefers to understand an issue more or less completely before speaking on it.

But, point well taken on the need to exercise the mental muscles, perhaps even in situations where I am not altogether sure of myself. Thanks for the stimulus to write.

ETA: Another point of reticence grows from my concern that the angle I usually take on the world (worldview/philosophy) does not have a place in here, in part because I see few others approaching these issues from that direction, and because my view as a more-or-less-Reformed evangelical is not a popular one in general--that is not to say I think it unimportant to speak frankly regardless of popularity, but figuring out how to build that angle can prove a bit challenging, when, so far as I can tell, I am among few who consider it meritorious to begin with. Those discussions usually take place in a different context, both medium and subject matter, anyway.
    Last edited by Faramir2; 05-29-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Had an additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    I echo the compliments and enjoyment. I hope to have more content to contribute to a future contest myself; I considered entering but decided I didn't have anything of real substance to say, at this point.

Funny, in reading the entries, I guessed the winners correctly. That was fun to observe; I'd love to see another contest soon.
    Now think about Gabe and the prevalent participating staff that come up with regular things to write about. It ain't easy to keep pouring out good, current content.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Now think about Gabe and the prevalent participating staff that come up with regular things to write about. It ain't easy to keep pouring out good, current content.
    And for the consistent stream of content I have respect; I have attempted writing projects on my own, and it is challenging to produce useful material regularly.

Congratulations gents! Thank you for keeping WT a great place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Red Dot Combat Pistol School Orange TX March 6-8, 2020

Thank you sirs, this, as always is a humbling place to learn with and from brothers.
    Last edited by m48shooter; 05-29-2019 at 12:50 PM.