Default Contest: Plan Your Dive, Dive Your Plan

Plan Your Dive, Dive Your Plan

I learned to SCUBA dive back in the days before electronic dive computers were ubiquitous. One of the most important things we leaned was how to plan for a safe dive profile. Using printed tables originally designed and tested by the US Navy, we would plan out how long we intended to stay under water and at what depth. We would then consult with the tables to determine if the dive profile was safe or not, and adjust our time and/or depth as necessary. This was a relatively simple skill if your dive profile was to descend to 50 feet, stay for 20 minutes, and then return to the surface. It was much more complicated if you intended to visit multiple depths on a single dive, or complete multiple dives in a single day.

Once we had learned the classroom skills to plan our dive, we then entered the water to learn the diving skills to dive our plan. You see, all of the hard work we had put into planning a safe multi-level dive was meaningless if we didn’t have the skills to follow the plan. For example, if the plan was to descend to 50 feet, stay for five minutes, and then ascend to 30 feet for 25 minutes, we were putting ourselves in great (perhaps mortal) danger if we then jumped in the water, descended to 65 feet, got distracted by a pretty fish and stayed for 12 minutes. Now what did we do? Was it safe to ascend to 30 feet as planned? What about going to the surface? What if we were low on air?

All of the planning was for nothing, and our safe hobby could turn deadly, if could not dive according to our plan. Thus we were drilled on the mantra, “Plan Your Dive – Then Dive Your Plan.”

I have come to realize that we can learn a great deal from our hobbies, and one of these lessons is that in life, you should always plan your dive, and then make sure to dive your plan.

Planning can be easy: Ask yourself, what would I do if, while walking to my car I was confronted with a mugger wielding a knife? If your answer is, “create distance, draw my weapon, and fire to neutralize a deadly threat,” you now have a plan. As Gabe has taught, a better plan would also include making a 911 call and a micro-statement to establish yourself as the victim to the arriving officers. But will you be able to follow-through on those plans? Are you fit enough to create the distance? Are you practiced enough to smoothly draw and fire? Are you stress-inoculated and mindful enough to make an effective statement to keep yourself out of jail? Does your family know the plan, and have the ability to stick to it if they are with you? If not, then your plan will fail because you will not be able to implement it, and you may be in as much mortal danger as if you jumped into the water with a SCUBA tank on your back and no training – something no thinking person would ever do. It’s great to have a plan – but without the skills to implement it, the plan is worthless.

Have a plan...and a backup plan. I've been in the flight test business since 1980, and a test flight is planned in exquisite detail. And you don't want to know what a first flight is like. I've been on two of those (one as Test Director), and the planning takes months.

So this resonates with me. Have a plan. Consider what will go wrong. Have contingency plans. Be ready to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Have a plan...and a backup plan. I've been in the flight test business since 1980, and a test flight is planned in exquisite detail. And you don't want to know what a first flight is like. I've been on two of those (one as Test Director), and the planning takes months.

So this resonates with me. Have a plan. Consider what will go wrong. Have contingency plans. Be ready to execute.

Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time